Profile Eval/Extra Curriculars

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Profile Eval/Extra Curriculars

by eparjn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:23 pm
Howdy! Hope all is well. I was wondering if you can help me objectively assess my candidacy at top schools...my list goes like this (Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago, Harvard, Duke, MIT, Yale)

I guess i have 2 questions:

1) Is my list of target schools reasonable?
2) Will the lack of XCs/Community involvement irreparably damage my application? That is, will the absence of significant involvement preclude me from gaining admission?

I appreciate your help.
Last edited by eparjn on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:03 pm
eparjn,

Thanks for your note. With your 3.55 gpa in finance and your 720 GMAT, you have the academic raw materials to be competitive at top 10 business schools. I am also pleased to see that you have done very well at work - it is impressive that you already have significant client contact and that you already are an associate - just be sure to quantify the impact of your work and demonstrate your leadership and project management skills. If you can do these things, then your work experience will be a big strength.

While you didn't mention your career goals, it seems that you intend to maintain your focus on the financial services industry.

While your extracurriculars might be a bit thin, you don't need to despair. First, you have been involved with some team sports which you can continue at business school - perhaps leading a club team. In addition, I am sure that you probably have some other hobbies at well. Perhaps there is a community activity from college that you can restart. Perhaps you have some hobbies that you have overlooked - for example, do you play a musical instrument? What activities do you do on weekends? vacations? Did you do something interesting 1-2 years ago? I bet that you can identify a few more hobbies if you systematically think back over the last 3 years. Once you have identified your hobbies, then you should try to link them to activities that you will continue at business school. By going through this process and identifying hobbies (and perhaps reactivating a dormant hobby), I am confident that you will have sufficient extracurriculars to work with in your applications.

We do offer a free initial phone consultation - I would be happy to discuss your extra curricular options in more detail with you.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.