SC question

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

SC question

by vinayjain » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:15 am
The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented residents << from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs >> as soon as they completed their education.

(A) from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs

(B) of the orphanage as to offer them jobs

(C) from the orphanage as to offer them jobs

(D) of the orphanage that he decided to offer them a job

(E) of the orphanage as to offer them a job

answer is given as (B) Luv to hear ur comments on this

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by lan0583 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:45 pm
I believe is A.

Choice B. so as to is not idiomatic...

Choice C...same reasoning as that of B

Choice D.. offer them a job... does not sound right it should have been offer them jobs....

Choice E is totally wrong... so as to and offer them a job.... it completely messed up the sentence.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: SC question

by mriaz1 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:04 pm
vinayjain wrote:The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented residents << from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs >> as soon as they completed their education.

answer is given as (B) Luv to hear ur comments on this
The correct answer is indeed 'B' in my view. The correct idiom structure is " So X as to Y"... Also, ' resident of ' is correct structure.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Rishabh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:01 am
The Prime Minister was so moved by the performance of the talented residents << from the orphanage that he decided to offer them jobs >> as soon as they completed their education.

The answer to this SC question is (B), for two reasons:
1) "residents of" is the correct usage of the phrase. - this rules out Choices A and C.
2) The object of the sentence "residents" is plural - so the object coming in later part should be plural "jobs" and not "a job" - this rules out choices D, and E.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by karmayogi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am
I was going through old posts and came across this question. I wanted to verify whether the given explanation is correct.
Rishabh wrote: ...
The answer to this SC question is (B), for two reasons:
1) "residents of" is the correct usage of the phrase. - this rules out Choices A and C.
2) The object of the sentence "residents" is plural - so the object coming in later part should be plural "jobs" and not "a job" - this rules out choices D, and E.
I agree with #1. However, #2 seems to be incorrect. I don't think, if one object of the sentence is plural then the object coming in the latter part has to be plural.

Comments???

"so that" and "so...as to" both are correct idioms, but IMO use of "so...as to" in B is wrong. B means, the PM was moved so as to (in order to) offer jobs. Offering "a job" to all residents seems awkward, but it is still feasible. Hence, although all options are incorrect, E looks like best among the lot.
Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divine within.
--By Swami Vivekananda

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sjd00d » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:06 pm
IMO D. So ...as to doesn't seem right, so ..that is right. Yes, offered them jobs would be better but offer them a job is fine as well. It may be slightly illogical but nothing wrong with it grammatically.

What's the OA

by karmayogi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:21 pm
sjd00d wrote:IMO D. So ...as to doesn't seem right, so ..that is right. Yes, offered them jobs would be better but offer them a job is fine as well. It may be slightly illogical but nothing wrong with it grammatically.

What's the OA
I already said “I was going through old posts and came across this question. I wanted to verify whether the given explanation is correct.” I just wanted to have discussion over this. However, the OA is, given by the poster , B.
--By Swami Vivekananda

GMAT Score:750

by pakaskwa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 pm
What's the difference between "so...that..." and "so...as to..."?

If they are not the same (which I suppose is the case), then what's the rule on how to use them?

Btw, what's the source of the question?

by piyush_nitt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 am
karmayogi wrote:
sjd00d wrote:IMO D. So ...as to doesn't seem right, so ..that is right. Yes, offered them jobs would be better but offer them a job is fine as well. It may be slightly illogical but nothing wrong with it grammatically.

What's the OA
I already said “I was going through old posts and came across this question. I wanted to verify whether the given explanation is correct.” I just wanted to have discussion over this. However, the OA is, given by the poster , B.
IMO

PM cannot offer a "job"(one) to all residents. So it has to be Jobs.

Moreover if you do googling , you will see there are loads of posts using "resident from" as a word.I am not sure if in all these posts the usage of an idiom is wrong.

Also, Correct idiom is So X as to Y and So X that Y , where X and Y should be ||.

None of the option seems correct to me!

by karmayogi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:13 am
piyush_nitt wrote:
karmayogi wrote:

What's the OA
IMO

PM cannot offer a "job"(one) to all residents. So it has to be Jobs.

Moreover if you do googling , you will see there are loads of posts using "resident from" as a word.I am not sure if in all these posts the usage of an idiom is wrong.

Also, Correct idiom is So X as to Y and So X that Y , where X and Y should be ||.

None of the option seems correct to me!
Why "a job" can't be offered to all residents? Check the following sentence: "I gave a chocolate to children." Now it's upto them how to manage.

Regarding quality of question, you are right. Looks like, we all agree that this is not a good question and all options are wrong.
--By Swami Vivekananda