This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 202
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Thanked: 15 times
GMAT Score:760

Elephants

by cbenk121 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:07 pm
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and that its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and that its trunk originally evolving
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved
(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its turnk originally evolved
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

OA: E

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 256
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Thanked: 3 times

by gmatv09 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:20 pm
Parallelism .... Also needs a present tense
[spoiler](E)[/spoiler]
to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 202
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Thanked: 15 times
GMAT Score:760

by cbenk121 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:56 pm
gmatv09 wrote:Parallelism .... Also needs a present tense
[spoiler](E)[/spoiler]
to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
What is "elephant is descended" parallel to?

User avatar
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 58
Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Thanked: 7 times
GMAT Score:630

by raghavakumar85 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 pm
cbenk121 wrote:
gmatv09 wrote:Parallelism .... Also needs a present tense
[spoiler](E)[/spoiler]
to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
What is "elephant is descended" parallel to?
descended is parallel to evolved. E is the right answer.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 202
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Thanked: 15 times
GMAT Score:760

by cbenk121 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:30 pm
raghavakumar85 wrote:
cbenk121 wrote:
gmatv09 wrote:Parallelism .... Also needs a present tense
[spoiler](E)[/spoiler]
to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
What is "elephant is descended" parallel to?
descended is parallel to evolved. E is the right answer.
I understand "descended" is parallel to "evolved"; what threw me for a loop is "is descended". That's passive, which seems like it can't be parallel to an active verb?