MGMAT CAT: Complex SC Q

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Posts: 631
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Thanked: 29 times
Followed by:3 members

MGMAT CAT: Complex SC Q

by netigen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

(A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants

(B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

(C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check

(D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks

(E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 May 2008
Thanked: 6 times
Followed by:1 members

by loki.gmat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:38 pm
A - awkward construction.
B - stringent background check is singular. hence usage of are is incorrect.
D - changes the meaning of the sentence.
E - antecedant of they is not clear.

hence IMO C.


Thanks!

Legendary Member
Posts: 631
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Thanked: 29 times
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:56 pm
Reasoning for A and E is not correct.

Furthermore, in C what is "it" referring to.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 132
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Location: Portugal
Thanked: 7 times

by atlantic » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:01 am
Despite the fact that 'require' is written twice in E, I believe that E is the correct answer. Or at least the best option here, all the others are either incorrect or have flaws.

Anyone? OA is.....

Legendary Member
Posts: 631
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Thanked: 29 times
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 am
E is not the answer

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 543
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Thanked: 43 times
GMAT Score:580

Re: MGMAT CAT: Complex SC Q

by codesnooker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:38 am
netigen wrote:
(A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants
In this "which" is making the sentence incorrect. "Which" should be followed by the object to which it refers. Instead of "which", if author has used "that" then it will be more prominent.
netigen wrote:
(B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment
"are" creates SVA error
netigen wrote:
(C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check
Here "it" clearly refers to "clean criminal records" because for "employees", "it" can not be used as a reference. Sentence is correct in its format but as it starts with word "Because", it should be least preferable as compare to other correct choices.
netigen wrote:
(D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks
Meaning of the original sentence is changed.
netigen wrote:

(E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees
This choice is wordy. "The reason that" is not required. Secondly I am not sure about the usage of "they" and it seems to be "Possessive Pronoun" error but I am not sure about this.

Hence I will go first with choice (C) and if not then with choice (E).

What is OA?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 189
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Thanked: 5 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by sulabh » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:23 am
I think C is correct.
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

(A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants (AKWARD,also I am not too sure that 'importance to' is correct idiom)

(B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment

(C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check (CORRECT)

(D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks ( no ancedont)

(E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 101
Joined: 27 May 2008
Thanked: 5 times

by gmatinjuly » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:21 am
I will differ , I will go with A.

In C they can refer to banks also .....

My reasoning .

D them ambiguous , workers or banks
B stringent background check IS necessary eliminate B
E eliminates key word stringent
C Sentence starts with because….they ambiguous….

A: correct

Whats OA ?????

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 189
Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Thanked: 5 times
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by sulabh » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:41 am
'They' is not ambigous in C.It refers to 'investment banks'

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 320
Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Thanked: 10 times

Re: MGMAT CAT: Complex SC Q

by ildude02 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 am
Nice breakdown, Codesnooker. I still hve one question with regards to the "it" in choice C. Isn't it required for pronouns such as "it, they, their etc to have some precedent noun to which they have to unambiguoysly refer to? Or, can these pronouns refer to the nouns that might follow them. In this choice C, you say "it" is reffering to "employees have a clean criminal record," that follows after "it" , just wanted to make sure I understand the concept more. Until now, I was in the impression these pronouns should have precedents to which they refer to. May be I'm wrong.
codesnooker wrote:
netigen wrote:
(A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants
In this "which" is making the sentence incorrect. "Which" should be followed by the object to which it refers. Instead of "which", if author has used "that" then it will be more prominent.
netigen wrote:
(B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment
"are" creates SVA error
netigen wrote:
(C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check
Here "it" clearly refers to "clean criminal records" because for "employees", "it" can not be used as a reference. Sentence is correct in its format but as it starts with word "Because", it should be least preferable as compare to other correct choices.
netigen wrote:
(D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks
Meaning of the original sentence is changed.
netigen wrote:

(E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees
This choice is wordy. "The reason that" is not required. Secondly I am not sure about the usage of "they" and it seems to be "Possessive Pronoun" error but I am not sure about this.

Hence I will go first with choice (C) and if not then with choice (E).

What is OA?

Legendary Member
Posts: 631
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Thanked: 29 times
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:42 am
OA is C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 106
Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Thanked: 3 times

Re: MGMAT CAT: Complex SC Q

by ksh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:51 am
ildude02 wrote:Nice breakdown, Codesnooker. I still hve one question with regards to the "it" in choice C. Isn't it required for pronouns such as "it, they, their etc to have some precedent noun to which they have to unambiguoysly refer to? Or, can these pronouns refer to the nouns that might follow them. In this choice C, you say "it" is reffering to "employees have a clean criminal record," that follows after "it" , just wanted to make sure I understand the concept more. Until now, I was in the impression these pronouns should have precedents to which they refer to. May be I'm wrong.
codesnooker wrote:
netigen wrote:
(A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants
In this "which" is making the sentence incorrect. "Which" should be followed by the object to which it refers. Instead of "which", if author has used "that" then it will be more prominent.
netigen wrote:
(B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment
"are" creates SVA error
netigen wrote:
(C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check
Here "it" clearly refers to "clean criminal records" because for "employees", "it" can not be used as a reference. Sentence is correct in its format but as it starts with word "Because", it should be least preferable as compare to other correct choices.
netigen wrote:
(D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks
Meaning of the original sentence is changed.
netigen wrote:

(E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees
This choice is wordy. "The reason that" is not required. Secondly I am not sure about the usage of "they" and it seems to be "Possessive Pronoun" error but I am not sure about this.

Hence I will go first with choice (C) and if not then with choice (E).

What is OA?
Its a good explanation C is correct

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 543
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Thanked: 43 times
GMAT Score:580

Re: MGMAT CAT: Complex SC Q

by codesnooker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 am
ildude02 wrote:Nice breakdown, Codesnooker. I still hve one question with regards to the "it" in choice C. Isn't it required for pronouns such as "it, they, their etc to have some precedent noun to which they have to unambiguoysly refer to? Or, can these pronouns refer to the nouns that might follow them. In this choice C, you say "it" is reffering to "employees have a clean criminal record," that follows after "it" , just wanted to make sure I understand the concept more. Until now, I was in the impression these pronouns should have precedents to which they refer to. May be I'm wrong.
Ildude02, precedents usually come before the pronoun; however in some cases it may comes after the pronoun. In the end, the rule is to pick the closest noun that follows the SVA rule + the meaning of original sentence should be unaltered.

If you again look at choice (C), the closest singular noun to the pronoun "it" is "a clean criminal record". Hence there is no pronoun reference error in this statement.

However, as this sentences starts with word "Because", so it should be least preferable as compare to other choices. In current question, as we don't have any other correct choice so we have to go with option (C) only.

I hope the concept is clear to you now.

If you have any doubt then ping me back.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 116
Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai,India
Thanked: 1 times

by bsandhyav » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:57 pm
Wot does 'it' refer to in C? I thought 'it' has referrant in C and eliminated option C during POE