Writing the Perfect Goals Essay:
Next in our series of different essay types is the MBA goals essay. Let’s jump right in.
Which essay would you rather read: one that begins with “I want to go into marketing because…”? Or one that starts out with an explanation on why you’re so passionate about marketing and how you feel as though you’ve had a calling for the industry since you saw your first Toyota commercial? Or perhaps an anecdote about how you publicized your sororities big fundraiser using social media, and it raised double the largest amount ever raised.
Most people would choose the second one – compelling details and a strong connection between past experiences and future goals will make your essay a much better read and offer a much better reflection on who you are as a person and as a top b-school candidate.
Stating an obvious general and common goal followed by list of obvious reasons will in no way distinguish you from the throngs of other future marketers. You need to make your goal stand out by including details that will make your goal (and consequently, your essay) interesting, credible, and individualized.
Ask yourself the following questions to help you write specific, detailed, and unique goals in your MBA goals essay:
- What past experiences (jobs, hobbies, etc.) have you had that shaped your future goals?
- What achievements have you had (awards, honors, etc.) that contribute to your goals?
- What personal attributes do you possess that contribute to your goals?
- What are you passionate about? Have your passions or interests influenced your chosen career path and post-MBA goals?
- What are some of your long-term goals? Short-term goals? Immediate goals? What impact do you expect or hope to have in completing each of your goals?
- Are your goals realistic? Have you done research that proves that your goals are in fact attainable?
- Are you familiar with some of the common challenges associated with your chosen field and future goals? Are you well-equipped to overcome those challenges?
A good goals essay is a thoughtful one that shows not just that you know what you want to do after you receive your degree, but why you are so attracted to your goals and how you specifically plan on achieving them.
Get your goals in shape when you check out MBA Goals A-Z, a resource page brimming with tips on how to create the best goals essay possible.