Is 700 GMAT good enough !!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
User avatar
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 May 2014

Is 700 GMAT good enough !!!

by vineetmittal04 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am
I took GMAT last year and scored 640 (Q49,V28).
I recently took GMAT for the second time and scored 700 (Q50,V34). I want to ask the experts on this forum whether this score is good enough to apply to top business schools in the world ?

As I am a recent graduate, so I am considering 'Masters in Management' course at London Business School and London School of Economics, MS in Management Studies at Kellogg School of Management, ISB's Early Entry Option and Master of Finance at MIT Sloan.

I have a good academic record and okay extra curricular activities.

Please give me your advice regarding my target programs and my GMAT score.

Am I aiming too high or do I have a chance ??

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 2094
Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Thanked: 1443 times
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:30 pm
The question of what's "good enough" is tricky to answer, because the GMAT is only one data point that schools evaluate about your candidacy. Your work history, GPA, and life story are also very necessary components. If your GPA is high, you've shown strong career leadership, and you have an interesting story, a 700 might well be enough. A 700 indicates strong analytical and critical thinking skills. If any of these other pieces are lacking, though, you might need the GMAT to tell a stronger story for you.

In general, I tell students to aim for a GMAT score at or above the school's average to be competitive. But you can aim higher or lower depending on how strong you think the rest of your application is.

I would recommend that you book a consultation with a consultant to discuss your specific case. Many companies offer a free consultation; I personally can strongly recommend mbamission.com for a free consultation.

Congratulations on the 700, and good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 313
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Thanked: 22 times
Followed by:7 members

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:08 am
Hi vineetmittal04,
Getting admitted to the top b-schools with relatively low GMAT is possible. We recommend checking the class profile and the average GMAT scores for the programs you are interested in, and also take a look here to see some examples for candidates who were admitted to top schools with low GMAT scores: https://aringo.com/aringo-top-mba-gmat-results/

User avatar
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 May 2014

by vineetmittal04 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:04 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:The question of what's "good enough" is tricky to answer, because the GMAT is only one data point that schools evaluate about your candidacy. Your work history, GPA, and life story are also very necessary components. If your GPA is high, you've shown strong career leadership, and you have an interesting story, a 700 might well be enough. A 700 indicates strong analytical and critical thinking skills. If any of these other pieces are lacking, though, you might need the GMAT to tell a stronger story for you.

In general, I tell students to aim for a GMAT score at or above the school's average to be competitive. But you can aim higher or lower depending on how strong you think the rest of your application is.

I would recommend that you book a consultation with a consultant to discuss your specific case. Many companies offer a free consultation; I personally can strongly recommend mbamission.com for a free consultation.

Congratulations on the 700, and good luck!
Thank you ceilidh.erickson for your advice. I will book a consultation and do the necessary research.

User avatar
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 May 2014

by vineetmittal04 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:31 am
Aringo.com wrote:Hi vineetmittal04,
Getting admitted to the top b-schools with relatively low GMAT is possible. We recommend checking the class profile and the average GMAT scores for the programs you are interested in, and also take a look here to see some examples for candidates who were admitted to top schools with low GMAT scores: https://aringo.com/aringo-top-mba-gmat-results/
Thanks Aringo.com for your advice. I will do the necessary research.

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 330
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Location: India
Thanked: 51 times
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:38 am
vineetmittal04 wrote:I took GMAT last year and scored 640 (Q49,V28).
I recently took GMAT for the second time and scored 700 (Q50,V34). I want to ask the experts on this forum whether this score is good enough to apply to top business schools in the world ?

As I am a recent graduate, so I am considering 'Masters in Management' course at London Business School and London School of Economics, MS in Management Studies at Kellogg School of Management, ISB's Early Entry Option and Master of Finance at MIT Sloan.

I have a good academic record and okay extra curricular activities.

Please give me your advice regarding my target programs and my GMAT score.

Am I aiming too high or do I have a chance ??
Hi Vineet,

Since you have good academic record and decent GMAT, now its time for you to focus more on your application essays, this is where you can differentiate. If you are confident about your GMAT prep and believe that you can improve it by minimum 40 points then plan to retake otherwise don't retake. Please share more details about your academics and which college you graduated from? Also let me know whether you applied to ISB YLP this year?

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

User avatar
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 May 2014

by vineetmittal04 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:38 am
ammanish wrote:
vineetmittal04 wrote:I took GMAT last year and scored 640 (Q49,V28).
I recently took GMAT for the second time and scored 700 (Q50,V34). I want to ask the experts on this forum whether this score is good enough to apply to top business schools in the world ?

As I am a recent graduate, so I am considering 'Masters in Management' course at London Business School and London School of Economics, MS in Management Studies at Kellogg School of Management, ISB's Early Entry Option and Master of Finance at MIT Sloan.

I have a good academic record and okay extra curricular activities.

Please give me your advice regarding my target programs and my GMAT score.

Am I aiming too high or do I have a chance ??
Hi Vineet,

Since you have good academic record and decent GMAT, now its time for you to focus more on your application essays, this is where you can differentiate. If you are confident about your GMAT prep and believe that you can improve it by minimum 40 points then plan to retake otherwise don't retake. Please share more details about your academics and which college you graduated from? Also let me know whether you applied to ISB YLP this year?

Regards
Manish
Hi Manish,
Thank you for your reply.

I think it would be hard for me to improve by minimum 40 points on GMAT, so retake won't do much benefit to me.

Following are my academic credentials:
10th - 94.17%
12th - 91.2%
B.Tech (Major - Computer Science and Engineering, Minor - Industrial Engineering) - (VIT University, Vellore, TN, India) - 9.13 CGPA (out of 10)

I applied to YLP 2014 and based on GMAT 640, I reached the Interview Stage. But I guess that my interview didn't go well and because of low GMAT, I didn't make it. But it was a good experience.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 321
Joined: 17 Feb 2014
Location: B 7/2, Okhla Phase-II, New Delhi - 110020
Thanked: 41 times
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:20 pm
Yes it is.You can apply with this score to the mentioned universities. You also need to focus on the theme of the application.
Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:[email protected]
T: 1800-102-4646
www.manyagroup.com


https://bit.ly/1OSgiTP