I am shattered.... 690(Q-51, V-31)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690

I am shattered.... 690(Q-51, V-31)

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 am
Hi Guys,

I got screwed up in GMAT and got just 690.
Q-51
V-31

I was scoring well in GMAT Prep and MGMAT tests in last 12-15 days. I consistently scored 720+ in these tests.

I got 31 in verbal in my very first practice test :(
On D-day, I finished Quant before 10 min and was feeling glad, but verbal created all the havocs.

Plz suggest me if I there is a hope as I am planning to apply for following colleges:

INSEAD
ISB
HEC
Oxford
IMD

I have 3.5 yrs exp and have good marks in graduation from IITRoorkee.

I will retake GMAT if I don't get success in admissions. Though the average scores of even top B-schools are not very high, do they really entertain scores below 700?

Plz help :(

User avatar
MBA Admissions Consultant
Posts: 1090
Joined: 27 May 2009
Thanked: 175 times
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 am
Don't be shattered--a 690 is an outstanding score. You do not have to score over 700 to be considered at top b-schools and many with 700+ get rejected over candidates with lower scores because of their application/essays/recommendations/experience. The GMAT essentially lets the committee know how well you might handle the academics of the curriculum. It's widely considered that essays are the most important factor in your admission decision. I would move on into focused preparation of the admissions package and congratulate myself on a job well done--you actually did beat the GMAT!
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant


Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:12 am
bryantmichaels wrote:Don't be shattered--a 690 is an outstanding score. You do not have to score over 700 to be considered at top b-schools and many with 700+ get rejected over candidates with lower scores because of their application/essays/recommendations/experience. The GMAT essentially lets the committee know how well you might handle the academics of the curriculum. It's widely considered that essays are the most important factor in your admission decision. I would move on into focused preparation of the admissions package and congratulate myself on a job well done--you actually did beat the GMAT!
bryantmichaels, thanks a lot for boosting my confidence.

Can u plz let me know whether my B-school list goes well with my score. I mean shall I apply for these universities?
Thanks 4 help.

Legendary Member
Posts: 1578
Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Thanked: 82 times
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:50 am
Hey Vaibhav.iit.Roorke, congrats met, a 51 is outstanding, Many congratulations. The 690 too is great score. This year ISB even took a guy with 540 so that way you are 150 point up..

do share your experience for math part at least in detail.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

User avatar
MBA Admissions Consultant
Posts: 1090
Joined: 27 May 2009
Thanked: 175 times
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am
Score seems in line with those schools, but remember GMAT is just a portion of the application package...would be impossible to comment on your chances based on GMAT score alone.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant


Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:17 pm
maihuna wrote:Hey Vaibhav.iit.Roorke, congrats met, a 51 is outstanding, Many congratulations. The 690 too is great score. This year ISB even took a guy with 540 so that way you are 150 point up..

do share your experience for math part at least in detail.
Hi mate,

thanks 4 helping me during my prep.
I have put debrief @ https://www.beatthegmat.com/51-in-qa-debrief-t47325.html

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 5
Joined: 11 Aug 2009

by Part-timer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 pm
A 690 is within range at all of your target schools. As long as you have solid essays, work experience, and undergrad GPA, getting in should be no problem. Look at your application holistically!

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 393
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Thanked: 8 times

Re: I am shattered.... 690(Q-51, V-31)

by riteshbindal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:50 pm
vaibhav.iit2002 wrote:Hi Guys,

I got screwed up in GMAT and got just 690.
Q-51
V-31

I was scoring well in GMAT Prep and MGMAT tests in last 12-15 days. I consistently scored 720+ in these tests.

I got 31 in verbal in my very first practice test :(
On D-day, I finished Quant before 10 min and was feeling glad, but verbal created all the havocs.

Plz suggest me if I there is a hope as I am planning to apply for following colleges:

INSEAD
ISB
HEC
Oxford
IMD

I have 3.5 yrs exp and have good marks in graduation from IITRoorkee.

I will retake GMAT if I don't get success in admissions. Though the average scores of even top B-schools are not very high, do they really entertain scores below 700?

Plz help :(
Hi Vaibhav,

I don't think 690 should be a prob for any of the B-schools. ISB has more than 50% people who are in range of 680 - 740. So work on your apps. If you retake GMAT now, you won't be able to put valuable time in your apps. So work on your apps and go for it. Except ISB, rest all schools have less than 700 as average GMAT score. INSEAD has 680, I think.
So think of GMAT as past and go for apps.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690
riteshbindal wrote:
vaibhav.iit2002 wrote:Hi Guys,

I got screwed up in GMAT and got just 690.
Q-51
V-31

I was scoring well in GMAT Prep and MGMAT tests in last 12-15 days. I consistently scored 720+ in these tests.

I got 31 in verbal in my very first practice test :(
On D-day, I finished Quant before 10 min and was feeling glad, but verbal created all the havocs.

Plz suggest me if I there is a hope as I am planning to apply for following colleges:

INSEAD
ISB
HEC
Oxford
IMD

I have 3.5 yrs exp and have good marks in graduation from IITRoorkee.

I will retake GMAT if I don't get success in admissions. Though the average scores of even top B-schools are not very high, do they really entertain scores below 700?

Plz help :(
Hi Vaibhav,

I don't think 690 should be a prob for any of the B-schools. ISB has more than 50% people who are in range of 680 - 740. So work on your apps. If you retake GMAT now, you won't be able to put valuable time in your apps. So work on your apps and go for it. Except ISB, rest all schools have less than 700 as average GMAT score. INSEAD has 680, I think.
So think of GMAT as past and go for apps.
Thanks Ritesh.
I hope huge imbalance in sectional scores wont cause any issue.

User avatar
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 56
Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Thanked: 1 times
GMAT Score:700

by Turnpike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 am
My 2 cents:

I have a close frnd who's currently at ISB with a 690 in GMAT. He's former McKinsey.

But, I can understand ur devastation. You may, if you have time & energy, have a 2nd attempt at GMAT. look at when the R2 ends, and take the GMAT two weeks before that date. In the meanwhile pay attention to the essays.

g'luck.
"Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working."

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 140
Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Location: India
Thanked: 14 times
Followed by:3 members

Re: I am shattered.... 690(Q-51, V-31)

by farooq » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:21 am
vaibhav.iit2002 wrote:Hi Guys,

I got screwed up in GMAT and got just 690.
Q-51
V-31

I was scoring well in GMAT Prep and MGMAT tests in last 12-15 days. I consistently scored 720+ in these tests.

I got 31 in verbal in my very first practice test :(
On D-day, I finished Quant before 10 min and was feeling glad, but verbal created all the havocs.

Plz suggest me if I there is a hope as I am planning to apply for following colleges:

INSEAD
ISB
HEC
Oxford
IMD

I have 3.5 yrs exp and have good marks in graduation from IITRoorkee.

I will retake GMAT if I don't get success in admissions. Though the average scores of even top B-schools are not very high, do they really entertain scores below 700?

Plz help :(
Each b-school has its own admission criteria and selection process. Your GMAT score doesn't sounds as bed as you think :)

But, apart for GMAT score, you have to show your application stronger than that of candidate who scored 720 or 750 in GMAT.

Focus on your application parts like essay, recommendation, resume and so on. Building impressive application by expressing your small as well as big achievements is very stressful task. Although you score 700+, you have to write stronger and unique application.

In addition, by seeing your past achievements, academics, relevant experience select a list of aspirational and safe of b-schools.

One of my friend who scored 710 in GAMT and who has 2 years of IT experience, selected all top b-schools. Later, she gathered more information and shattered by realizing that her profile doesn't have any additional achievements. So, again she selected rest of the b-schools and focused on application part in a stressful situation.

I hope this shared information will help you in some manner :)

Best of luck for your application. Also, if you think that by proper preparation you will score 40-50 more points in GMAT in very short duration, then pleas go head. Otherwise start writing you MBA application.
Regards,
Farooq Farooqui.
London. UK

It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:39 am
Thanks Farooq. Info was helpful :)

I have a doubt. Will low score of 31 be a hurdle in getting me into Oxford, Cambridge and LBS?

I got 5.0 in AWA. Is 5.0 a score which can compensate against 31 in Verbal?

User avatar
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 28
Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Thanked: 1 times
GMAT Score:690

by Andrei » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 pm
hi vaibhav.iit2002,
Congratz for the score!

Well, I view the GMAT as an entry point, not as differentiator: if your GMAT score falls within the range of the 80% of the admitted students of the school, you're ok, probably the other parts of your application will make the difference.

In your case, I think 690 it's enough for either school. The only think that you should focus now on be the difference in score between quant and verbal, maybe a good AWA and structured essays would help it.

On the other side, 3.5y of work seems on the lower side as years of the experience, be sure to put focus on your achievements and abilities you strengthen in this period or in the extra activities. :)

Good luck with the application!

Legendary Member
Posts: 1578
Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Thanked: 82 times
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:09 pm
Andrei wrote:hi vaibhav.iit2002,
Congratz for the score!

Well, I view the GMAT as an entry point, not as differentiator: if your GMAT score falls within the range of the 80% of the admitted students of the school, you're ok, probably the other parts of your application will make the difference.

In your case, I think 690 it's enough for either school. The only think that you should focus now on be the difference in score between quant and verbal, maybe a good AWA and structured essays would help it.

On the other side, 3.5y of work seems on the lower side as years of the experience, be sure to put focus on your achievements and abilities you strengthen in this period or in the extra activities. :Good luck with the application!
I cant really hear more stupidness (sorry for being harsh) than this one that gmat doesn't matter beyond a point, particularly 680-710 are very uncomptetive for INDIAN business schools...and they do look for gmat score as that is one criterion to show where they stand in business community compared to other schools...for ex, ISB will be very proud to show that they have median of 715 which is more than harvard, I am not saying that they do not admit 680/90 they do admit a few 540 even, but those candidates will be having something very brilliant, I dont think a 30 year odd guy having 4-5 year work exx is really having those hidden gems to compete successfully with 540is who are some sort of very exp people( already holding significant posts) or known sportsman or something similar...
i hate hearing this... in short...
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:16 pm
maihuna wrote: I cant really hear more stupidness (sorry for being harsh) than this one that gmat doesn't matter beyond a point, particularly 680-710 are very uncomptetive for INDIAN business schools...and they do look for gmat score as that is one criterion to show where they stand in business community compared to other schools...for ex, ISB will be very proud to show that they have median of 715 which is more than harvard, I am not saying that they do not admit 680/90 they do admit a few 540 even, but those candidates will be having something very brilliant, I dont think a 30 year odd guy having 4-5 year work exx is really having those hidden gems to compete successfully with 540is who are some sort of very exp people( already holding significant posts) or known sportsman or something similar...
i hate hearing this... in short...
Point noted. Do you hav any idea how universities consider AWA and does AWA score play any significant role in admission?