Graphic design

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

Graphic design

by crackgmat007 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:41 pm
Though the term "graphic design"may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs,book jackets,computer graphics.and film titles.
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout,it has signified widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout,it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging

OA - B
OG Verbal review states that for D, 'term' (singular) doesnt agree with 'have suggested' (plural).

But use of 'may' requires'have'.

The term "graphic design"suggests --> No subj verb agreement error
The term "graphic design"has suggested --> No subj verb agreement error

Can someone explain if there is subj verb agreement error in the below examples, more specifically in choice D above?

The term "graphic design"may suggest
The term "graphic design"may have suggested
Last edited by crackgmat007 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kbharadwaj.1987 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:32 pm
Parallelism dude!
a la
Though it may have suggested you this, it has suggested me that.
So it's may have. May have is perfectly fine and also the second clause has "has". So it's D.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 pm
the use of "though" suggests the sentence needs a contrast of facts.

essentially, the meaning is "though X should suggest one thing, in reality X actually represents another".

The correct idiom out of all choices is B:
Though this... it has come to mean this...

vs D:
Though this may have... it has... (there is lack of contrast in the second part.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:04 am
Stay away from using "have" whenever possible to use present tense. And, "have" is often used correctly when used as a verb for subject "people"

Avoid using "gerund" as verbs, often correct when used as a noun to describe preceding situation in preceding clause or to modify a clause after a comma.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by way2ashish » Sat May 04, 2013 10:09 pm
Though the term "graphic design"may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs,book jackets,computer graphics.and film titles.
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,it has come to signify a wide range of - correct
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout,it has signified widely ranging - work - in correct
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout,it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 am
crackgmat007 wrote:Though the term "graphic design"may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs,book jackets,computer graphics.and film titles.
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout,it has signified widely ranging

OA - B
In A and E, they (plural) does not agree with term (singular).
Eliminate A and E.

In C and D, corporate brochure and annual report layout seems to imply that the SAME LAYOUT is used for corporate brochures and annual reports.
Not the intended meaning of the original sentence.
Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is B.

Please note the following:
A GENERAL TRUTH is something that is true now and is expected to be true always.
The intention here is to convey a general truth about the term "graphic design":
The term graphic design MAY SUGGEST laying out corporate brochures and annual reports.
In D and E, have suggested (present perfect) -- which implies an action that took place at an INDEFINITE MOMENT IN THE PAST -- cannot serve to express a general truth about the term "graphic design".
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:01 am
@ GMATGuruNY,
Apart from whatever you've mentioned above as ERRORS in D, please let me know whether we can mention about the following aspect as a potential ERROR in Option D ?

The intended meaning of the original sentence is that the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, BUT "graphic design" DOESN'T suggest brochure and report layout itself. So the Option D seems to indicate that there is subtle change in meaning.

Correct me please if wrong!

P.S: In GENERAL, I think the following structure is GRAMMATICALLY correct -

Singular subject MIGHT HAVE or MAY HAVE. Right ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:44 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:The intended meaning of the original sentence is that the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, BUT "graphic design" DOESN'T suggest brochure and report layout itself. So the Option D seems to indicate that there is subtle change in meaning.

Correct me please if wrong!
This line of reasoning is sound.
P.S: In GENERAL, I think the following structure is GRAMMATICALLY correct -

Singular subject MIGHT HAVE or MAY HAVE. Right ?
The subject may be singular or plural.

The OE for SC97 in the OG12: The system might have founded a school.
Here, the subject for might have -- the system -- in singular.

SC119 in the OG12: Catastrophic impacts may have caused reversals.
Here, the subject for may have -- impacts -- is plural.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3