This topic has expert replies
User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 407
Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Thanked: 25 times
Followed by:7 members

Assumption!!!

by Ozlemg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:34 am
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate. The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
A. Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
B. The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
C. The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
D. Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
E. Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 1325
Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Thanked: 105 times
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:44 am
A. Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level. if people consume less calories then they can be thin even with low metabolic rates
B. The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight. irrelevant
C. The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual. amount not discusses
D. Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents. OUT OF SCOPE
E. Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it. Not even a hint let alone an assumption
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 27 Apr 2011

by deepsok » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 am
Overwt people----const & low metabolism rate-----hence lose wt by dieting---
But burn less calr when wt reduced----so regain wt till original metabolism rate
This can be true when we assume that metabolism rate changes at particular wt---this is true for less overwt or thin people.

B is the answer choice that provides this assumption.
So I will go with B.

Legendary Member
Posts: 768
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Thanked: 21 times
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:49 am
deepsok wrote:Overwt people----const & low metabolism rate-----hence lose wt by dieting---
But burn less calr when wt reduced----so regain wt till original metabolism rate
This can be true when we assume that metabolism rate changes at particular wt---this is true for less overwt or thin people.

B is the answer choice that provides this assumption.
So I will go with B.
no, this is wrong assumption you have made. The metabolism is relatively low of the people who are overweight. It is not stated neither assumed anywhere that metabolism varies as per weight.Furthermore, B goes way too far in stating about overweight people. Author has assumed anything about normal people.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 11
Joined: 27 Apr 2011

by deepsok » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 am
Well I didnot like answer choice A because,it has words "relatively few"
I dont understand why assume that "only few people consume less calories".

Now,
In the argumenet,conclusion is about thin person (overwt peope have become thin now due to dieting)
So I like the answer choice B.

can anybody guide me to paraphrase conclusion and premise???
That will help me to validate my reasoning here.

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 15533
Joined: 25 May 2010
Location: New York, NY
Thanked: 13060 times
Followed by:1900 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:32 am
Ozlemg wrote:Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate. The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
A. Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
B. The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
C. The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
D. Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
E. Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.
I received a PM about this CR.

Premise:
After very overweight people lose weight, they will burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level.
Conclusion:
Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight.

The assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.
One approach is to apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

A, negated:
Most very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight...consume substantially fewer calories.
Here, newly thin people consume substantially fewer calories, invalidating the conclusion that these people will regain weight.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion, A is the correct assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is A.

I have been asked to explain why C is incorrect.
C, negated:
The amount of calories that a person usually burns is NOT determined more by the amount consumed than by the current weight of the individual.
It is given as PREMISE that newly thin people BURN fewer calories.
A premise a FACT.
It cannot be invalidated.
Since the negation of C has no bearing on the conclusion but affects only the premise about calorie-burning, eliminate C.
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
[email protected]

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 137
Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Thanked: 1 times
Followed by:2 members

by Amrabdelnaby » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:31 am
The assumption here is they very few overweight people eat less, so most of them gain weight again. which is A
this is the assumption that the author used to conclude that obese people will gain weight again.
Thinking about it, if they don't eat more, or if more people dont eat substantially fewer calories, they will not gain weight
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Ozlemg wrote:Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate. The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
A. Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
B. The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
C. The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
D. Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
E. Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.
I received a PM about this CR.

Premise:
After very overweight people lose weight, they will burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level.
Conclusion:
Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight.

The assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.
One approach is to apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

A, negated:
Most very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight...consume substantially fewer calories.
Here, newly thin people consume substantially fewer calories, invalidating the conclusion that these people will regain weight.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion, A is the correct assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is A.

I have been asked to explain why C is incorrect.
C, negated:
The amount of calories that a person usually burns is NOT determined more by the amount consumed than by the current weight of the individual.
It is given as PREMISE that newly thin people BURN fewer calories.
A premise a FACT.
It cannot be invalidated.
Since the negation of C has no bearing on the conclusion but affects only the premise about calorie-burning, eliminate C.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 28 Feb 2011

by aeris » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:47 am
need to find out an option that connects calories burnt to metabolic rate.

Only A does perform this function.

Hence, A.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 27
Joined: 11 Apr 2016

by thuyduong91vnu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:23 pm
Hi,

Could someone help to explain what "regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate" exactly means?

Many thanks!

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 15533
Joined: 25 May 2010
Location: New York, NY
Thanked: 13060 times
Followed by:1900 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:37 am
thuyduong91vnu wrote:Hi,

Could someone help to explain what "regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate" exactly means?

Many thanks!
A low metabolic rate is typically associated with excess weight.
A high metabolic rate is typically associated with thinness.
But overweight people who become thin retain their low metabolic rate.
As a result, their low metabolic rate -- which is typically associated with excess weight -- does not match their newly developed thinness.
To compensate, they regain weight until they have the excess weight that is typically associated with a low metabolic rate.
In other words, they regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
[email protected]

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3