650 GMAT and ACCEPTED to INSEAD – How I did it +interview

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by raghupro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:10 am
Sorry for digging this story out from the grave! Felt quite inspired and connected to woojet's story here. Congrats on your admit mate!

I would be glad if someone can really assist me in evaluating my profile for INSEAD.

Acads:
Undergrad (B.Tech.) in CS with GPA of 7.7
GMAT 660 (Q51V28).

Work-ex:
Business Analyst in a Medical Transcription and EMR company for 20 months
Marketing Manager in a Marketing Agency that deals with Heavy Machinery related to power projects for 23 months (family business)
Co-Founder of a IT product startup, had one minor exit which was more of a technology sellout. Worked for 21 months full time.
Business Development manager, back to our family business for 12 months
Manager and Analyst at one of India's largest startup incubator since the last 3 months now.

Post MBA goal:
Associate in a reputed VC firm
or
Work as a Management Consultant

I am more inclined towards being a part of the startup ecosystem and aspire to be a part of large VC firm but I am not sure if my career path so far really supports to be one yet.

by pranab.8 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:39 am
Congrats brother . God bless you with wonderful future ahead . Could please tell me how did you finance your MBA. Please let me know in my email if not here [email protected]

by pratyushkumarsingh » Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 pm
Well done man...awesome.
I am an army officer from India and just scored 760 on my GMAT. Want to make a career switch and INSEAD is on my mind. But I have no international experience. What do u think my chances are?? Almost 7 years in the army.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:750

by LauraFreedman » Fri May 23, 2014 2:58 pm
Hi Pratyush,

It is possible to get in to INSEAD without international experience, but it depends on the rest of your profile. A 760 GMAT is an encouraging start, but not sufficient by itself.

I interviewed the only applicant (the only person!) I've ever seen with an 800 GMAT when I was coordinating interviews for INSEAD in Russia in the '90's. I found her intolerably arrogant, and so did my other interviewer, so we dinged her. In my own case, I was turned down on my first application with a 750 GMAT at a time when the mean for HWS was 650 (although Harvard didn't require the GMAT in those days). I was admitted two years later as a re-applicant after I'd moved from Citibank in New York to Booz in Paris (consulting in Europe was my post-MBA goal).

In my work with Career Development, I do see INSEAD students with limited or even no international experience. It's very rare for Indians, but not unheard of, if the rest of their profile is unusually interesting and stellar on all other dimensions, and it's clear how you can both contribute to and benefit from the program.

Why don't you send me your CV and perhaps we can have a chat?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Laura

Laura Freedman
Access Education, Singapore
www.AccessEducation.com.sg

by ashscorner » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 pm
Hi Woojet!
Thank you so much for your inspiring article! I'm now sort of where you were about 2 years ago.

My other concern is about the length of the program and lack of internship - I'm a career changer and hope to use my mba time to discover opportunities. So I wonder if a 2 year program is better suited than the 10 month at INSEAD? Since you've been through the program (and from your comments it seems like its been amazing!), I'd love to chat with you about your experiences.

Specifically, I'm wondering if you were also a career changer? Which field were you originally in and where are you post INSEAD? How did the program help you get there? In hindsight, would you have chosen a longer program?

Would you mind if we got in touch to chat over phone?

Thanks in advance!
Ashika
[email protected]
Last edited by ashscorner on Thu May 05, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:3 members

by KDogg87 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:49 pm
I love this post! I think it's so important for applicants to know that the GMAT does not define the entire application (even though it is imperative to give it all you've got). I got into Stanford GSB without a 710+.

Video blog: Getting Into Stanford - Tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Pcn_VQuDo
Latest video blog about my application:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9cMfeMY36c

by SauravD86 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 pm
congratulations on your enrollment! I am also looking to apply to Insead for the sep 15 batch and was searching for some guidelines and thats when I bumped onto this post of yours. Gave me the much needed motivation and guidance!

by pattu1987 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:34 pm
Thanks a lot for sharing your views. I (an MBA aspirant, if that is the right term) have heard that European schools don't look for the greatest GMAT score, but then again each individual will go through a unique experience with their MBA admission process and that's what we are all here for. But nonetheless CONGRATS is the least anyone could tell you for getting into INSEAD.
Keep it up! Good luck in Singapore!

by trusted604 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:49 am
love this site !!

by kdegraav » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Dear Woojet,

Thanks for sharing this.
Maybe you can help me and advise on my case?

I have just taken the GMAT and also scored a 650, but my score is very unbalanced: 49% in quant, 89% verbal, AWA 92% and IR 81%.

INSEAD favor balanced scores (70/75% for each) but people tell me not to worry: my good grades (masters in international business, 3.25-4.0 GPA with honors), and my good profile should amply compensate. I have been working for 6 years, the last 3.5 years for a global bluechip company with a repsonsibility for EMEA. All in all I have lived and worked in Europe (France, Germany, U.K.) Asia Pacific (Thailand, Japan, China). I currently live in Korea. I speak 4 languages fluently and have basic proficiency in 3 others. On top of that I hold a bachelor of science and a bachelor of arts.

I really struggle with quantative and have spent a considerable time on it already. Do you believe my international profile and experience can offset the disparity in my scores?

Thank you in advance.

by kdegraav » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Dear Woojet,

Thanks for sharing this.
Maybe you can help me and advise on my case?

I have just taken the GMAT and also scored a 650, but my score is very unbalanced: 49% in quant, 89% verbal, AWA 92% and IR 81%.

INSEAD favor balanced scores (70/75% for each) but people tell me not to worry: my good grades (masters in international business, 3.25-4.0 GPA with honors), and my good profile should amply compensate. I have been working for 6 years, the last 3.5 years for a global bluechip company with a repsonsibility for EMEA. All in all I have lived and worked in Europe (France, Germany, U.K.) Asia Pacific (Thailand, Japan, China). I currently live in Korea. I speak 4 languages fluently and have basic proficiency in 3 others. On top of that I hold a bachelor of science and a bachelor of arts.

I really struggle with quantative and have spent a considerable time on it already. Do you believe my international profile and experience can offset the disparity in my scores?

Thank you in advance.

by ekezz33 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:55 pm
How long after your second interview did you hear that you got accepted?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:23 members

by woojet » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:12 am
@ekezz33 - I believe admittance notifications are routine and sent out all at once. I don't know that for sure, but I suspect that would have to be the case in the interest of fairness. But to answer your question, it was only a difference of a few weeks. I was a R2 candidate.

Thanks for your question!

-woojet

by ledgrowlights » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:34 pm
Congratulations! Good luck with your MBA. Thank sharing

by SenoritaManu » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:11 am
I stumbled upon your post while digging the internet for any information or tips for INSEAD MBA admissions. I must say, your post was so inspiring. It gave me a moral boost! I just have a year's work exp but am going to try for the 2016 Jan intake. I can only hope that I make it somehow!

Congratulations on your success :)