Young MBA Profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Young MBA Profile

by jkgsd2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:20 pm
I'm 21 years old and have 1 year left till I get my Bachelor's in Business Administration w/ emphasis in Management. I don't want to drop out of school, go work, then get my MBA in a couple of years, so I've been working throughout my high-school and college career. Here's my profile:

School: Mid-West State-School
Major: Business w/ emphasis in Management
GPA: 3.1
GMAT: 630 (practice - Princeton Review's website, haven't taken the real thing yet)
Work: When I graduate I will have worked at Best Buy for 6 years. I have been promoted several times, and I will have had 3 years of management experience - I supervise/hire/train about 15 employees.
Extra: none - some volunteer experience in high school, but I've been too busy working full time and going to school the last 4 years

I want to get an MBA from a good school with emphasis in Technology Management.

A couple of questions:

1) When doing research, most school have the median age as 27-30. Will my age significantly impact my chances of being accepted into these schools?

2) Will my work experience, and especially management experience, count towards MBA "experience", or do schools look at experience after you graduate? Will being a manager at a retail-store fulfill the duty of having several years of "management experience"?

3) I have worked full-time throughout my college education which has resulted in me having a lower than preferred GPA. If I explain this during an interview, will it greatly affect my chances of being accepted?

4) And probably the most important question, how do I know which school I should apply for? I have been doing extensive research on US News and Business Week to see the "Profiles" for each MBA school. I have been told that I should go to graduate school in the same area of where I would want to work, so should I be looking at schools in California if I want to work for a major technology company? Also, how do I know which schools I have a chance for, since most school profiles have statistics that I don't meet (older, more experience, higher GPA). Should I be looking at schools in the Top-25, Top-50? I only have 1 chance to apply for MBA school (since I want to attend the school in Fall 09), and I don't want to have my managers send out recommendation letters to 10 different schools (they are so long, I feel bad having them send letters to more than 2 schools).

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:01 am
Hi JK,
Thanks for your post. Most top tier MBA programs require students to have several years of WE before applying. (some schools, including HBS and Yale have MBA programs which recruit candidates directly from undergrad).

If you are interested in a top 25 program, you will need significantly higher stats (GPA and GMAT) to overcome your lack of WE. Otherwise, you could consider regional programs that might be more open to candidates without previous WE.

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by jkgsd2 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 pm
VP_MBA_Guru:

Thanks for your reply...

When looking at the US News and Business Week Top MBA school lists, how far do you think I need to go down before I have a school I can get accepted to? I want to get into the best school I can, but I understand the limitations of my work-experience and age.

Also, do I technically have 5 years of work experience (I've worked 5 years full time), 3 years of work experience (I've been a manger this long), or no work experience (I haven't worked after graduation)?

Finally, what regions of the United States do you think I should look at if I want to work for a major computer electronics corporation? The West Coast, East Coast? Do you think I should go to the same Mid-West state-school for my MBA that I got my undergraduate at, or is that a mistake?

Thanks again!

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 pm
Hi JK,

To be honest, other than schools that have dedicated post-UG MBA programs (such as HBS), I dont think any top 25 program would be open to candidates without any WE. Esp in this year, which is expected to be one of the most difficult years for admission into a top program.

My understanding of candidates who attend an MBA program immediate after undergrad are

* From the same school (i.e. a Wharton undergrad goes directly to the MBA program).
* Have a special situation - such as returning to a family business and/or going back to their home country.

Hence, I believe you have an uphill battle if you are shooting for a top 25 school.

by jkgsd2 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:22 am
VP_MBA_Guru:

So you're saying I don't have any work experience in the eyes of an MBA school even though I've been a manger for 3 years?

Should I just stick with my current university and get my MBA from here (I'm almost guaranteed to get accepted), or should I try to find a university on the west coast to get a specialized IT MBA?

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 am
Since you are an applicant with no post-UG work experience, then yes they will what you have done to date. However, it will not be seen in the same light as post-UG WE, which most other applicants will have.

NP

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:13 am
Sorry - to answer your last question with respect to your school decision. Its hard for me to say. I would consider doing some more research and try to figure out which schools fit your background and interests - and are open to post-UG applicants. If you are interested in IT, consider schools in the west coast that have strong connections to top IT employers in the area (schools like Santa Clara and UC Davis come to mind).

Regards,

NP