Yet another profile evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Yet another profile evaluation

by howell » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:04 pm
Hey Graham,

In the midst of trying to pick target schools, but have two problems:

First, my GMAT score, while overall solid - 720 - is skewed towards verbal (Q: 75%, V: 97%)

Is it worth retaking the test to bump up my quant score if I want to be considered for a school such as Columbia?

What complicates things further is that my undergrad GPA is a bit low - 2.7 to be exact from Vanderbilt University, largely due to tough science courses taken in my second major: Biology. I have since obtained a Masters at NYU in Journalism (3.3 GPA) but still worried about that undergrad GPA.

I'm 33 and I figure my chances as a candidate are dwindling as I get older. But would it at all make sense to take a couple quant classes to beef up my resume and hold off on applying for another year?

In case you need it, here's some more relevant info:

-33, male
-Currently work as a financial journalist at major media outlet
-Extracurriculars: Not stellar, but involved in alumni activities with undergrad institution (i.e. interviewing candidates)
-Career goal: want to translate current work experience/knowledge into job in financial services industry with MBA such as consulting...

Thanks in advance,

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 am
Howell,

Thanks for your note. Yes, your spotty academics present a bit of a quandary. Your 720 GMAT is quite impressive - there is no need to retake this test. Having said this, the adcom will be a bit worried about your 75% quant score. Thus, they will look to your college/grad school transcripts for evidence of your quant ability, particularly in business foundation courses such at economics, statistics, accounting and calculus.

You mentioned that you had a 2.7 gpa in college, and that Biology coursework negatively affected your grades. While your 3.3 gpa in your Journalism Masters is an improvement, it doesn't really address your quant ability. In addition, your grades fall below the 3.5+ gpa averages of the top full time programs.

Thus, I strongly suggest that you build an alternate transcript to prove that you can handle the quant aspects of the MBA program. Be sure to take at least 1 intro college course in statistics, accounting or economics (and get As in the courses). You can take classes from a local college or even from on line course (just make sure that you take the courses from an accredited academic institution).

As an older applicant (33 years old), you might consider applying to the eMBA and part time programs because they are likely to place more weight on your work experience. You might also consider broadening your school selection beyond top 5 full time MBA programs.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.