Worth Rewriting the GMAT? Score Breakdown Concern.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to H/S/W R3 but I'm starting to become concerned with my GMAT score of 750. I am quite happy with the overall score, but I am somewhat concerned about the breakdown I got.

7.0 IR (82nd percentile)
47 Quant (67th percentile)
47 Verbal (99th percentile)

This got me a 750, which is a 98th percentile score. Although my quant score is low, I graduated top 1% of my class in Engineering from a top 20 school in the world.
Does my low quant score raise a red flag given that I am from engineering, or does my engineering background help compensate for it? I'm primarily concerned with H/S/W.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:12 am
totoisking wrote:Hi,

I'm planning to apply to H/S/W R3 but I'm starting to become concerned with my GMAT score of 750. I am quite happy with the overall score, but I am somewhat concerned about the breakdown I got.

7.0 IR (82nd percentile)
47 Quant (67th percentile)
47 Verbal (99th percentile)

This got me a 750, which is a 98th percentile score. Although my quant score is low, I graduated top 1% of my class in Engineering from a top 20 school in the world.
Does my low quant score raise a red flag given that I am from engineering, or does my engineering background help compensate for it? I'm primarily concerned with H/S/W.

Thanks!
No need to worry about your quant score - a 47 is strong with or without an engineering background, and no school is going to worry about your ability to handle its curriculum. You can confidently move on to other parts of your application.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:24 pm
Hi totoisking,

First off, a 750/Q47 is an outstanding score, so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. You've named some highly competitive Schools, and you're ultimately asking Admissions questions, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]