Worried - How can i deal with RC qs ?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Worried - How can i deal with RC qs ?

by candygal79 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm
I am having trouble with RC - I am not able to get more right answers . Is note taking necessary ? I don't take notes . I feel very frustrated when i get wrong answers . Worried ! How can i deal with RC ?Eg out 7qs, i probably will get 2 or 3 correct answers ..How can i improve ..I am using Kaplan & OG books ..Pls advise.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 pm
When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC), I don't believe that there's one specific approach that works best for everyone. So, I always recommend that students spend some time experimenting with different strategies to see which one best suits their memory, reading speed and English proficiency.

If you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:01 am
Hi candygal79,

Your own assessment of your skills actually provides the answers to all of your questions. You ask if taking notes in RC is necessary, then you state that you're getting lots of questions wrong. The short answer is that YES, taking notes IS necessary, but you probably don't have to take as many notes as you think. RC prompts and the corresponding questions that come with each passage are NOT about understanding every word in the passage. The GMAT tests certain questions and concepts repeatedly, so you just have to learn how to handle the questions that the GMAT will throw at you.

How are you doing overall though? While you've identified RC as a "problem area", it might not be your only one. What are your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections on your practice CATs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]