Who should write me letter of Recs? Profile review maybe?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Call me Timmy,

I am in the middle of trying to apply to MBA, and somewhat in an emotional mess.
Please disregard any statement that you might find obnoxious.

I am applying for MBA for 2014-2015 cycle, I have read extensively in this forum for a couple years now and I have gathered some information about the application. I may be wrong, but please correct me. Also, if you are willing, give me an honest review on my profile, not "strong" or "weak" but rather what I should include and what is inappropriate for apps.

I am feel somewhat frustrated when I read through "the average" of admitted applicants to top schools, it seems most of them are disproportionately consultants going to work for consulting firms and Investment bankers? I think that entrepreneurs are not typically going to top MBA's.

I realized the weakest link in my apps might be my work experience, as it is very difficult to quantify a "new enterprise". In a snap of craziness I actually thought that I would use a public accountant to value my entire company as a way to prove to universities that I am not some bluff trying to make fluffy application.

Anyway, I am applying to MBA because I strongly believe that I could manage my family company better if I can learn other people's experience in an academic setting. And maybe find some smart employees. I do not require an MBA to further my career because I am not climbing the corporate ladder. I do, however need to learn more from other people who are better than me.

A competitive candidate:
1. Statistics
- GMAT : Above 700 is competitive
- GPA : Above 3.5 is competitive (ivy school does help)

2. Work exp
- Work : 2-5 years of experience (in reputable firms?)
- Typically people in Consulting are preferred due to the highly selective nature

3. Qualitative
- Recs : pick someone who knows you well (largely to validate work exp)
- Essays : Show the personal side of applicants
- Interviews : confirm a yes or change mind from no to yes

I realized that the above is extremely subjective, it is more of an art than science, in my opinion. I think I am somewhat "competitive" although more likely than not get dinged because it sounds not usual or normal.

Here is my profile:

1. Statistics:
- Toefl : 109 iBT
- GMAT : 730 Quant 50 Verbal 39
- GPA : University of Southern California 3.64 (Graduated with Honors)
De Anza Community College 3.96 (Honors in Economics)
- Language : 4 Full native fluency : (English, Indonesian, Malay, Javanese)
3 Basic Conversation : (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
- Registered Indonesian Tax Consultant - Brevet A, B, C scheduled in Dec 2014
- CFA Level I - Exams scheduled in Dec 2014 ? should I even take it?

Why the 3.6 GPA? and 3.9 GPA??? I graduated in a 1 year for Community college, then took 2 years in University. Obviously I took the maximum course load to achieve this, and thus the GPA suffers. I did not regret learning vs getting grades, but I wonder how will the adcoms overlook this thing.

2. Awards
International level:
- 4 years of full scholarship by Singapore government, top of the list
- Silver - Singapore Beijing Mathematics Invitational
- Bronze - Singapore Mathematics Olympiad (Junior/Senior)

Institutional level :
- USC - Marshall Business School Honors 2012 (only less than 50 completed the Business Honors)
- USC - Marshall Business School Dean's list 2012 (3.5 GPA in a semester is in Dean's list)
- USC - Best business opportunity recognition paper (class project assignment)
- USC - Best paper on Entrepreneur's Toolbox(class project assignment)
- USC - Best Strategy Analysis Report for RIM(class project assignment)
- USC - 2nd best business plan Merdeka Marketing (class project assignment)
- USC - 2nd Google Ads Keyword Analysis Project (class project assignment)
- De Anza College - Dean's List
- National High School Scholars Honoree
- Phi Theta Kappa Honoree

Interesting Experiences:
- Jungle survival: I survived one week long jungle survival training in Malaysia in 2006 with only water, knife and lighter (alone in the jungle)
- Converted an electric vehicle: Took MIT Open Course Ware to study engineering (electrical, mechanical) and business school subjects (operations, finance, etc) Average about 2 hours a day nearly since 2011 and successfully converted a motorcycle and an old SUV to be fully electric during Saturdays to build.
- Strong connections: I spent most of my time building connections, connecting people and also learning from the successful people. I am building contacts in Government, Business, and Alumni Associations.

Post-graduation work experience:
1. May 2013 - Jul 2013 GMAT Studying GMAT post-graduation
2. Jul 2013 - Feb 2013 Math tutoring Coaching American Maths Competition / American Math Olympiad pre entrance exam
3. Feb 2013 - Mar 2013 Family Company (construction, Oil & Gas) Initial planning for IPO in 2018
4. Mar 2013 - Apr 2013 Family Company (raw materials) JV negotiation with Japanese Public Company start
5. Apr 2013 - Sep 2013 Securities House (finance) Investment analyst & Corporate finance
6. Jul 2013 - Sep 2014 Family Company (raw materials) - JV with Japanese Public Company 1st due diligence
7. Sep 2013 - present Family Company (construction, Oil and Gas) - Preparing for IPO in 2018
8. Feb 2014 - present Public Telco Tower company - Finance department & Investor relations
9. Apr 2014 - Jun 2014 Family Company (raw materials) - JV with Japanese Public Company 2st due diligence

Outside of working hours:
1. Jul 2013 - Nov 2013 Sat 6 pm - 11 pm Workshop time: Building an electric vehicle (EV) : Electric motorcycle (EV conversion), mini golf cart (from scratch), and full sized family car (EV conversion)
2. Sep 2013 - Present Sat 9 am - 2 pm Talent hunting, Interviewing people (hired over 100 people)

Other Work and weird Experience that is not clearly stated in resume:
1. Started an industrial products Import& Export business since 14 years old (helped by parents). It started by translating English purchase orders, prospecting sellers, buying on pre-orders, and importing goods ($250k per shipment in a month by 2016)
2. Opened a tech consulting business that ultimately closed (although I am getting enough to live) While teaching Maths competition.
3. Taught Mathematics Olympiad and American Math Competition in USA. Helped 12 students to pass AMC and prequalification for American Mathematics Olympiad
4. Mentored directly by the President Director of a Securities house
5. Mentored by a founder of FedEx Kinko
6. Turned near bankrupt family owned hospital and property broker to profit
7. Opened a hospital supply company and another logistics company (consumer products distribution) with capitalization of $300,000
8. Networked and made deals about $2 million USD through connections, especially in sales
9. Converted electric motor bikes, golf carts from scratch, and converted a car
10. Volunteered to teach math in excess of 2000 hours
11. Arranged a family tour to Europe for 17 days with zero mistake, zero complaint
12. I helped my sister for international arts exhibition, doing the logistics and stuff

To clarify, yes it is "inherited". I am chosen, instead of my parents, uncles, aunts because I am the most capable person doing business in the entire family. I am the third generation individual inheriting 20% stock in the entire holding company.

This is factual information only and is not meant in any way to brag or show off. In my country, I live under USD 800 per month, which is big enough for me to live comfortably, far from luxurious. Please give feedback on the University Application strength and weaknesses, not on my life part.

I really want to know?
- What should I write in essay to bring out the best of myself?
- What should I do with my "disorganized" work experience?
- What should I include in my resume, knowing that there are many experiences?
- What is the use of an admissions counselor?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 am
Hi Timmy,

First of all - you wrote a great deal - that's really helpful! You're asking some questions that have more of a conversation behind them as responses. Honestly - I'd suggest you leverage the free consultations offered by most admissions consulting firms (ours included) - they're generally 30 minutes long and it's your time. I suggest that because it would be a much more difficult task to address your post with another post. A call would be easier :)

We could definitely cover the questions you're asking above and get you on the right path. If you'd like to chat with us, we'd love to hop on a call with you. You can sign up [here].

You can also read a little more about the process, what to consider, and review school guides by visiting our [Free Resources].

Hope to hear from you soon,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!