Which schools do I target with a score of 700?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700
Hi,

My GMAT score in two previous attempts has been 610 (42Q, 32V, 5IR, 5AWA) in Nov 2013 and 640 (48Q, 30V, 8IR, 4.5AWA) in Nov 2015. My application to NTU this year was rejected and I could not gather the confidence to apply anywhere else with a score of 640.

I gave my 3rd GMAT attempt this weekend and got a score of 700. The unofficial report shows a breakup as follows:

Total Score: 700 (89 percentile)
Quantitative: 48 (73 percentile)
Verbal: 37 (83 percentile)
IR: 7 (81 percentile)

I have a work experience of 6 years (with 2 MNCs) in dealing with high net worth clients in the Indian financial services industry, out of which 3.5 years have been as an acquisition manager and the last 2.5 years have been as an investment advisor/wealth manager. I have a B.Com. (Hons) from the University of Delhi, but unfortunately, my grades from college aren't very good. I have an aggregate score of 59% (2nd division).

What schools can I realistically target and apply to, considering the fact that most applications are now closed and I would be competing for limited no of seats in the remaining few colleges?

A few colleges on my radar are NUS, Rotman, INSEAD.

Thanks
Raghav

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:35 pm
Hi Raghav,

Congratulations on your improved GMAT score! In terms of school selection, I wouldn't let your GMAT/GPA be the sole drivers in narrowing down that list. Your post-MBA professional and personal goals should also factor into selecting your schools. Unless there are extenuating circumstances that are dictating your need to start business school this fall, I would advise you to wait until the following application year (fall 2017 start) at this point. Starting fresh with round 1 deadlines will maximize your chances of admission to the best schools and will also give you plenty of time to prepare a thorough and compelling application. You would also have time to take an online class (I recommend a quantitative subject such as finance, accounting, statistics, etc.) to help mitigate your lower undergrad performance. (Note that INSEAD is an exception to that timing, since it offers 2 intake dates - September and January.)

With a 2017 intake date in mind, I would recommend that you also consider IESE (in Spain), Cambridge (in UK), Cornell Johnson (in USA), Duke Fuqua (in USA), Carnegie Mellon (in USA), or Georgetown (in USA), to name a few.

It's hard to give you more specific and tailored recommendations with just this information given how important individual stories are to the applications, but this is my knee-jerk reaction knowing only what you provided. I'd love to speak to you more about your MBA plans and help you develop your application. You can contact us via our website (www.vantagepointadmissions.com) if you're interested in discussing further.

Best of luck!

- Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:09 am
rbhasin11 wrote:Hi,

My GMAT score in two previous attempts has been 610 (42Q, 32V, 5IR, 5AWA) in Nov 2013 and 640 (48Q, 30V, 8IR, 4.5AWA) in Nov 2015. My application to NTU this year was rejected and I could not gather the confidence to apply anywhere else with a score of 640.

I gave my 3rd GMAT attempt this weekend and got a score of 700. The unofficial report shows a breakup as follows:

Total Score: 700 (89 percentile)
Quantitative: 48 (73 percentile)
Verbal: 37 (83 percentile)
IR: 7 (81 percentile)

I have a work experience of 6 years (with 2 MNCs) in dealing with high net worth clients in the Indian financial services industry, out of which 3.5 years have been as an acquisition manager and the last 2.5 years have been as an investment advisor/wealth manager. I have a B.Com. (Hons) from the University of Delhi, but unfortunately, my grades from college aren't very good. I have an aggregate score of 59% (2nd division).

What schools can I realistically target and apply to, considering the fact that most applications are now closed and I would be competing for limited no of seats in the remaining few colleges?

A few colleges on my radar are NUS, Rotman, INSEAD.

Thanks
Raghav
Congratulations Raghav on improving your GMAT score.

If you find NTU to be the best fit, you may also be worth a try to check if they can reconsider your application (if you haven't done so) and advise them of your new GMAT score.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by rbhasin11 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:31 am
VantagePointMBA wrote:Hi Raghav,

Congratulations on your improved GMAT score! In terms of school selection, I wouldn't let your GMAT/GPA be the sole drivers in narrowing down that list. Your post-MBA professional and personal goals should also factor into selecting your schools. Unless there are extenuating circumstances that are dictating your need to start business school this fall, I would advise you to wait until the following application year (fall 2017 start) at this point. Starting fresh with round 1 deadlines will maximize your chances of admission to the best schools and will also give you plenty of time to prepare a thorough and compelling application. You would also have time to take an online class (I recommend a quantitative subject such as finance, accounting, statistics, etc.) to help mitigate your lower undergrad performance. (Note that INSEAD is an exception to that timing, since it offers 2 intake dates - September and January.)

With a 2017 intake date in mind, I would recommend that you also consider IESE (in Spain), Cambridge (in UK), Cornell Johnson (in USA), Duke Fuqua (in USA), Carnegie Mellon (in USA), or Georgetown (in USA), to name a few.

It's hard to give you more specific and tailored recommendations with just this information given how important individual stories are to the applications, but this is my knee-jerk reaction knowing only what you provided. I'd love to speak to you more about your MBA plans and help you develop your application. You can contact us via our website (www.vantagepointadmissions.com) if you're interested in discussing further.

Best of luck!

- Melody
Thank you for your response.

As far as my goals go, I am looking at the MBA as an opportunity for me to switch careers at this point. I do not wish to continue in the wealth management/Sales business in the long term and would like to make a transition into Consulting with a focus towards Business Strategy and Product Development.

The cost of education is another major factor in my case as I would be heavily dependent on scholarships/education loans to finance the cost.

A few colleges that you have mentioned are definitely on my mind, but I feel I may not be a very strong candidate for some of the top 15 B-schools, considering my low graduation scores. This could also be me being a little pessimistic or under-confident.

Thanks
Raghav

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:42 pm
Hi Raghav,

I completely understand your position on the cost of business school - it's a huge undertaking. All of the programs I mentioned offer both merit and need-based financial aid so I would definitely look further into those opportunities and how you can qualify. Although your undergraduate grades are a weakness in your application profile, you have a number of opportunities to mitigate that throughout your application by demonstrating professional achievement and academic aptitude in other ways. Admission to business school is always competitive but I believe that you have a reasonable profile for a number of the top 25 schools.

If you'd like to discuss your MBA plans in more detail, you can contact us via our website (www.vantagepointadmissions.com).

Best,
Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!

by rbhasin11 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:43 pm
Edison@VeritasPrep wrote: Congratulations Raghav on improving your GMAT score.

If you find NTU to be the best fit, you may also be worth a try to check if they can reconsider your application (if you haven't done so) and advise them of your new GMAT score.

Wish you all the best!
Hi,

I have written to NTU to request a reconsideration of my application.

I am keen to start business school as soon as possible as I feel that my work life is reaching a point of stagnation and I can only continue to grow professionally if I pursue higher studies. If I were to wait for another year to get into a college, then I feel the need to add a different work background to my resume, for which there are limited opportunities available for a profile like mine.

Would appreciate more and detailed inputs on this.

Thanks
Raghav

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:51 am
rbhasin11 wrote:
Edison@VeritasPrep wrote: Congratulations Raghav on improving your GMAT score.

Wish you all the best!
Hi,

I have written to NTU to request a reconsideration of my application.

I am keen to start business school as soon as possible as I feel that my work life is reaching a point of stagnation and I can only continue to grow professionally if I pursue higher studies. If I were to wait for another year to get into a college, then I feel the need to add a different work background to my resume, for which there are limited opportunities available for a profile like mine.

Would appreciate more and detailed inputs on this.

Thanks
Raghav
If you have to wait for another year, consider taking the opportunity to develop personally. For instance, your work responsibilities may not change, but you can join more activities, such as organizing events, being part of committees that may be unrelated to your current skills but would provide more dimensions to your profile, and allow you to further strengthen your interpersonal/teamwork/leadership skills. This could also add interesting stories to your applications.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by rbhasin11 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 am
I've got the official report. AWA Score is 5.5 (81 percentile)