Which programs care more about GMAT score than the other

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760
factors? I know with law schools there are certain programs that weigh the LSAT more heavily than other stats, are there any MBA programs that do this with the GMAT?
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 am
Well I can immediately speak to Yale because while they take the highest GMAT scores, they do look at your other scores. They are looking for the range and fluctuation in scores. When I heard this I was very surprised, so I'm wondering if it's better to get a 680 then take it again and get a 700 or just get a 700 the first time and quit.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:24 am
Nah, I guess I wasn't clear, I mean whicch programs care more about the GMAT score than gpa.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:41 am
I don't know if that's a program thing as much as it's a function of how long the candidate has been out of undergrad. From what I've been told about my case, they'd care more about GMAT score, than my undergraduate GPA. I graduated college in 2004, so it's been a good 6 years since that coursework has been an indicator as to how I would perform in business school.

If one is right out of undergraduate by a year or two, the weight put on the GPA and GMAT may be more evenly split. Do you think this is the case?

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 am
money9111 wrote:I don't know if that's a program thing as much as it's a function of how long the candidate has been out of undergrad. From what I've been told about my case, they'd care more about GMAT score, than my undergraduate GPA. I graduated college in 2004, so it's been a good 6 years since that coursework has been an indicator as to how I would perform in business school.

If one is right out of undergraduate by a year or two, the weight put on the GPA and GMAT may be more evenly split. Do you think this is the case?
Yeah I have heard that as well. What the UVa Dean told me was to try to get into the top 25% of the programs GMAT score if your gpa is lower. This way they can admit someone with a higher gpa but lower gmat score, and they can admit the person with the higher GMAT and lower gpa, so they match them like pairs.

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm
Yeah... honestly for me that's going to be very difficult. I'm going to need to get a 740 in that case! ::sigh:: But it definitely makes sense. A high GMAT score basically gives you a ticket to play. It's like "ok they have a decent GMAT score.. ok lets finish the rest of the application"