Which formal class should I take?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which formal class should I take?

by Seth » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:46 pm
Okay, so I am a loser. I scored a 380 after studying off and on for several months. I didn't practice timing. I have a Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering and a Masters of Science in a Electrical Engineering. So I know I can do well if I study correctly.

I need to take a formal class so I can get a score of 575 or higher.

Can anyone recommend the best formal class (Kaplan, Veristas, etc...) ?

I am in Phoenix Az so I am sure some companies don't offer actual classroom settings in Phoenix. Not interested in doing the online classes.

Thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 pm
Hi Seth,

Are you on any kind of a deadline?

Most Test Takers need the better part of 3 months (or more) of consistent study time to hit their respective peak scores. Studying off-an-on, as you did, just doesn't allow for the immersions and reps that you need to get comfortable with the various aspects of the GMAT. With the pacing problem that you had, did you leave any of the questions unanswered (meaning you didn't even click the buttons)?

I'm not sure what options there would be for live classes in Phoenix, but I imagine that they would be limited. You mentioned that you weren't interested in online classes, but I'm curious why? Have you taken one before?

If you change your mind and become open to taking an online class or a guided self-study Course, then you'd have many more options (and they'll almost all be less expensive than a live on-site class).

As far as your Official GMAT score is concerned, you shouldn't worry about it too much. Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once. You've learned some things about Test Day itself and how not to study, so your process should be significantly better this next time around.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Seth » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 pm
Hi Rich, thanks for the reply. I have four months to study if I want to start in a January program. Veristas is taught in Phoenix. They have a five week course. I may look into that course. Yes, I totally ran out of time with about 14 math problems left so I just clicked to the end, so I got all 14 of those wrong I am sure. Funny, in my 13 year engineering career I never had to solve a serious complex math problem in 2 minutes. I know I need to work on timing big time. I need to speak with a counselor at Veristas about timing. That may be the biggest thing I need to work on going forward. I just wonder if this Veristas is worth the time and money.

Thanks Rich

Seth

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 pm
Hi Seth,

There are some details about your original post that need some clarification:

1) Was the 380 on a practice CAT or on the actual GMAT?
2) If it was an Official GMAT, then how were you scoring on your practice CATs before you took the GMAT?
3) What resources were you using during your studies?

4 months of study time gives you plenty of time to properly prepare, but this process can't be "off-and-on." Most Test Takers spend 10-15 hours per week to achieve their goals, so you have to really plan this whole process out.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]