Where should I look, Brand Management Northeast

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 am
Hi ketaki6 !

Cornell has an upcoming deadline in a few weeks that is completely viable - their Round 3 is like many other schools' Round 2s, so you would still have a good chance. We actually just did a post on Cornell this week: https://essaysnark.blocked/2012/01/ ... rnell.html

If you got your Columbia app in by yesterday then you're also in the running for their fellowship awards. If you are still working on it, just get it in soon!!!

Good luck with all your apps!

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by highwyre237 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 am
Hey Essay Snark,

I was reading your amazing blog (by far the best Admin Consultant blog). I happened to be looking for a way to whittle my now list of 10 schools down to 5 to officially apply to. Funny thing is, I was directed to my own post at BTG...

Well I thought I'd update everyone on how much your lists may change within 8 months... to think I thought I was set.

First off, I re-took the GMAT in February and scored a 710, which is good enough.
So, here I am, early August and writing essays, but man has my list changed.

Quick re-cap

November or 2011 my list was
Kellogg
Stern
Fuqua
Darden
Cornell
UNC
Yale

after extensive research, my list in Dec 2011 was
Kellogg
NYU
Booth
Columbia
Fuqua
Darden

Now, in August 2012 my list is:

Tuck - By far my first choice. The reason... visiting schools makes a HUGE difference. A year ago, it was hardly on my radar, and after thought at best, but now I can not figure out why I over looked such a perfect fit. Me, Mr. "I don't want to live in a college town" Loves Hanover. This will be the second set of essays I attack, applying EA

Ross - You heard that correctly, a crazy college town in the "Northwest". MAP fits perfectly with what I want to get out of the MBA experience, and have decided that even a few Michigan winters, and an undergrad population of 27,000 (shutters) can't keep me away from that. I just finished the 2nd draft of these essays, and I'm set to apply in Round 1

Stern - I mean, come on... its the village... it doesn't matter how much time passes, it will never drop off my list. It close to friends, family, and where I want to settle down. Maybe not my first choice, but a pretty solid top 3. Applying Round 1

Cornell - Similar to Ross's MAP, the immersion learning structure really fits with my learning style. Also, although I am not a fan of upstate NY... it has solid networks in both boston and NY, a great fall back plan if other schools hate me. Applying Round 1
-----------------------------------------------------------

now... I'm hoping to pull in 1-2 more schools between the lists below:

Columbia - To be honest, I've visited the school, and didnt like it. Not a fan of the alumns and students I know personally... But, due to location, still on my list.

Kellogg - I still love this school.. BUT, even with the 700+, I doubt my chances... If I had an 80/80 split, and a score in the 740+ range I may think differently, so now... it may be a Round 2 long shot if I make it into a few of my R1 choices

Wharton - Yeah right... Round 2 long shot, if I'm sitting pretty with an offer from round 1

Fuqua - If I decide to apply here, I may do R1, but it may be too much. I still am unsure about fuqua, which leads me to believe that it may not be a great fit. I can't even explain it... I'll have to visit and see what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------
If Round 1 goes horribly wrong

Wisconsin - I like the idea of a specialization and center for Brand Management, and have a coworker who's an alumn. Not sure about spending 2 years of my life in Madison... or if I'd be able to easily get back to the east coast. I doubt I'll apply

Indiana - once again... bloomington? am I crazy?? I think so... my fiancee thinks so.

If all else fails... maybe
BC
BU

--------------------------------------------------

So, the only school that has been consistent this whole time is NYU... just a lesson for all of you, no mater how much your school list is finalized, it'll change until you hit submit on your applications

Also, Essay Snark, you'll be hearing from me soon. I'm thinking about that in depth profile review. I know you guys seemed to like my profile on the surface, but I'll have to give you a look under the covers.