Where should I include freelance work?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Where should I include freelance work?

by sidchilling » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:15 pm
I am a team manager and Head Product UX having progressed in my career from a software developer. In my five years of work experience, I have worked on quite a few freelance gigs, some just a couple weeks to some for more than a couple of months.

In the application, where do I include such freelance experience?

Also, I am from India and the freelance gigs I have had are with firms in the US and Italy. For HEC Paris application, I included such experience in the international exposure question.

For other schools, there isn't such a question so an obvious place would be the resume. Also, my question is that in some schools, there is a question - "List all community and professional organisations and extra-curricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies". Is this the right place to include freelance work?

Thanks for the help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:11 am
sidchilling wrote:I am a team manager and Head Product UX having progressed in my career from a software developer. In my five years of work experience, I have worked on quite a few freelance gigs, some just a couple weeks to some for more than a couple of months.

In the application, where do I include such freelance experience?

Also, I am from India and the freelance gigs I have had are with firms in the US and Italy. For HEC Paris application, I included such experience in the international exposure question.

For other schools, there isn't such a question so an obvious place would be the resume. Also, my question is that in some schools, there is a question - "List all community and professional organisations and extra-curricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies". Is this the right place to include freelance work?

Thanks for the help.
sidchilling,

Depending on how major the projects were, I would recommend including them as work experience as a sole proprietor. Starting something yourself shows entrepreneurial abilities and initiative and it is additional experience. As long as you are clear that it is part-time, it is worth including. In addition, if any sizable revenue was attached to the projects, the schools would want to see your ability to market yourself successfully.

Best,
Scott