What should I do to get into a top MBA?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Elite Legendary Member

What should I do to get into a top MBA?

by mushinkan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm
I am graduating this semester with a 3.36 GPA. My school is ranked around the 80s by the US News for its undergraduate business program. I double majored in Accounting and Finance. My goal is to get into a top MBA program.

Part (A) --
I am contemplating a couple of options:
1) Get an MSF (Masters of Science in Finance) right now and then work for a couple of years, then go back and apply for the MBA;
2) Start working right now and then apply for the MBA.

So, would an MSF + 2 years of experience be better (or same as or less advantageous) than 3 years of experience?

Part (B) --
What kind of work experience would help me the most? I have two options, either to work for a Sovereign Wealth Fund or for PwC on the financial advisory side. I intend to work there for about 2 - 3 years. Many people told me that a Sovereign Wealth Fund work experience would be prestigious, unique, and surely differentiate you from other applicants as admission committees are looking for diversity in backgrounds (what are the odds that there is another international applicant having the same background?). However, others told me that PriceWaterHouseCoopers is very prestigious and highly reputable firm (big 4 in actg), and admission committees still have notions that working for a big consulting firm is the best you can bring to the table along with I-banking.

During this time, I will work hard to ace the GMAT and get a score above 680. Additionally, I will not have to pay for either degrees for I have a scholarship.

Part (C) --
What are my admission chances into these programs?

1. University of Chicago
2. Northwestern University
3. UCLA
4. NYU
5. Duke University
6. University of Southern California
7. Boston College

Part (D) --
I apologize for the long questions and I would highly appreciate your recommendations and advice.

Thank You

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:04 am
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

I can't possibly comment on what your profile will look like 2-3 years from now and whether you'd be competitive at certain schools, but I will try to address the other questions.

All things being equal, I think the masters degree could set you apart, as long as you do well and it is related to your goals. In terms of work experience, schools are interested primarily in what you did - while prestigious firms are a nice added dimension, doing fairly standard junior level work at one may not be as impressive to the schools as joining a smaller organization where in two years you can take on additional responsibility and show real growth and leadership. What's important is not to worry about what other applicants' profiles are like, since you can't control those, but to make your own profile as strong as possible through leadership, initiative, responsibility, good community involvement (which you don't touch on in your post but which is important), etc.

Best of luck,
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Elite Legendary Member

by mushinkan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm
Thanks Jessica,

I just want to be clear on something. You said a masters degree could set me apart, does that mean that a masters degree is better than a 1 year experience?

Put in perspective, say I will wait for 3.5 years until I apply for the MBA. Would 2.5 years of experience + 1 years Masters be better (or same as or less advantageous) than 3.5 years of experience? Which way am I going to be better off? Which is going to be more valued by top MBAs?

Taking the MSF is good for my career, but top MBA is better. I just wanted to show them that I am academically competent and to redeem myself for my undergrad GPA. Bottom line: MSF = way to get into top MBA. Good for the career, but I will just get the same at the MBA, if not better, and later an MSF would be just overlooked when I have an MBA from say Booth next to it.

The thing is I am graduating this semester and I'm not sure whether to go ahead and work, or grab a masters degree that will take 1 year then work after that. That's why I'm asking those q's. (Just to let you know, if I work I might actually pass at least level 1 of CFA, so I don't know if that's even going to be better looking than an MSF.)

Thanks alot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:37 am
Hi - thanks for the follow up.

You're asking for a scientific answer though, and admissions is an art, not a science. There are so many factors involved and there's just no way to weight them with so many unknowns. For example - one extra year of work experience where you don't actually take on much leadership, show a lot of results, position yourself for your future, etc. may not help more than a year of school. On the other hand, a year of school where you get to do some really interesting internships, get published in a journal, clarify your goals may be more helpful than the best work experience. It's just not as cut and dried as I know applicants want it to be.

I think you should choose the option that appeals to you the most - the more interested and excited you are about whichever option you choose, the more you'll get out of the experience.

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php