What is the value of x? - OG prac test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What is the value of x? - OG prac test

by Kuros » Sun May 07, 2017 12:24 am

Another geometry question, I know my weakness isn't blatantly obvious or anything
:roll:

[spoiler]answer was c.

My thought process for this was: I needed to know or reduce some combination of equations to come up with ∠RSQ and ∠UST. 1) QR = QS means ∠RQS = ∠RSQ, but can't inform what ∠UST is, so insufficient. 2)ST = TU means ∠TUS = ∠TSU, but doesn't give me any information about ∠RSQ, so also insufficient. Both together, if I make ∠RSQ = y degrees, then ∠PRS = 180-2y, and therefore ∠UTS = 180-90-(180-2y) = 2y-90, and then TSU = (180-(2y-90))/2 = 135-y, since ∠RSQ is already y, then 180-(135-y+y)=x=45 [/spoiler]

My questions are: Is my process right? If it was, it took me at least 6-7 minutes to think about and work through it, are there better ways of approaching the problem where I can grasp whether this is solvable within a more reasonable time frame? Or do I just need more practice?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm
Kuros wrote:Image

Another geometry question, I know my weakness isn't blatantly obvious or anything
:roll:

[spoiler]answer was c.

My thought process for this was: I needed to know or reduce some combination of equations to come up with ∠RSQ and ∠UST. 1) QR = QS means ∠RQS = ∠RSQ, but can't inform what ∠UST is, so insufficient. 2)ST = TU means ∠TUS = ∠TSU, but doesn't give me any information about ∠RSQ, so also insufficient. Both together, if I make ∠RSQ = y degrees, then ∠PRS = 180-2y, and therefore ∠UTS = 180-90-(180-2y) = 2y-90, and then TSU = (180-(2y-90))/2 = 135-y, since ∠RSQ is already y, then 180-(135-y+y)=x=45 [/spoiler]

My questions are: Is my process right? If it was, it took me at least 6-7 minutes to think about and work through it, are there better ways of approaching the problem where I can grasp whether this is solvable within a more reasonable time frame? Or do I just need more practice?
Hi Kuros,

Your approach is fine. Regarding your timing is concerned, it can certainly be reduced significantly with more practice. Once you have seen many questions involving the properties of a right-angled triangle, isosceles triangle, and straight angle, you would certainly do similar questions in less than 2 minutes.

Relevant book: Manhattan Review GMAT Geometry Guide

Jay

Locations: New York | Vienna | Kuala Lumpur | Sydney | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.