What GPA/GMAT is needed to get into a top 5 school?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue May 04, 2010 1:03 pm
Dear simchi,

The admissions committee will see your improvement in your transcripts, but you might want to write a short paragraph on your cum GPA so they know you are aware it is below average. In essence, you want to acknowledge your cum GPA is not representative of your ability, but that the last two years are a better reflection. Also, you will want to include any mitigating circumstances on your academic performance like a full-time job.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by brianhem10 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm
Hi Lisa,

I just took the GMAT today and got a 690 - 40V and 44Q. It wasn't as good as I hoped because I was doing 42-44V and 46-48Q on my practice tests, but it is what it is. I got a bit spooked on 2 hard math questions and I stupidly used too much time :( I would love to just be done but of course I'm concerned about my quant score. Hoping you could put my worries at ease.

I graduated from the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business with over a 4.0 (we get 4.4/4.0 for A+s). I got As/A+s in Accounting, Operations, Business Statistics, Finance, and some other quant classes. I am also starting a job at Microsoft in marketing soon, which has some quant elements to it as well.

My #1 goal would be Columbia, as I have family in NYC and am originally from NY, so if I go back to grad school, I also would like it to be a chance to be near my family. I expect to apply there early decision.

So, is it worth taking the GMAT again and trying to get a 700 or 710 with a slightly better Quant score? Or can I make up for it with my background and strong essays?

BH

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:32 pm
Dear BH,

I think it is possible you could gain admission with a really strong application package and a 690. Your transcript from Michigan will be an advantage and your 690 is certainly competitive, albeit slightly below the average. If your essays and recommendations are strong, as well as a solid interview and quality work experience, then you do have a shot. A higher GMAT score will never hurt, but I don't think a GMAT score would be the sole reason for a reject. If you have only taken the GMAT once, and you have the resources (time and money) to take it again, you might go ahead--perhaps wait to send the score until you know what it is. It's possible you will do better the next time as your nerves won't be as high now that you have a 690 under your belt.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by popeezy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 pm
Hi Stacy,

My name is Thomas Wang, and this is a short profile/bio

School: Fordham College of Business Administration (graduate in june 2011)
Major: Finance with a concentration in business economics
GPA: 3.97 (probably will graduate as either salutatorian/valedictorian)
GMAT: 740, (plan to retake to get 760+)

E/C

Finance Society, Boyle Society (for Fordham business students with GPA >3.7), Beta Gamma Sigma, Global
Business Honors Program (special advanced classed with Fordham MBA professors), Dean' List, tutors
for a variety of subjects (economics, financial management, etc), Honor Thesis Paper on economic development and
IPOs, study abroad in London, and short internship at stock exchange in Shanghai

Leadership:

Student credit union: acting as chief financial officer. Manage over $200,000 worth of assets. Also perform
a wide variety of financial management functions: asset-liability management, interest rate risk management,
and liquidity management

Federal Reserve Challenge: planning to participate next semester. Competition on recommendation for
Federal Reserve's economic and monetary policy.

Internship:

JPMorgan Chase: currently an operations intern for prime brokerage. Probably will receive a full time offer in the
fall and plan to work there.

Asia Society: worked as an business intern. Helped facilitate relationship between Asia Society and major Asian
companies.

I am hoping to get into

1) Harvard Business School/London Business School (1st choice)
2) Wharton (2nd choice)
3) Booth School of Business of U Chicago

safety schools: NYU or Columbia

What are my chances and what other things can I do to improve my chances in the meantime. Thank you
so much for your time and look forward to hearing your evaluation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm
Dear Thomas,

You do not note when you plan to apply to business school. Are you thinking of applying to enter directly from your undergraduate studies? or are you planning to work for a few years first? I'm assuming you plan to work first based on a few phrases in your post, so my answers are under that assumption. Basically, you are building a competitive foundation for an application to any school. What you do upon graduating from Fordham will be key though, so continue to build a solid resume and seek out opportunities at work to gain depth and breadth of experiences. Additionally, you will want to continue your involvement with some extracurriculars outside of the office like community organizations or other activities. If you continue on your current path and maximize your professional opportunities post-Fordham, then you should be a competitive candidate for any school you apply to, assuming you put together a quality application package.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by popeezy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:16 pm
Dear Lisa,

First, I would like to thank you for your very quick and detailed response. I indeed plan to work for several more years
until my MBA. Is 2-3 years the standard? I understand that it's different for everyone, but that is the average right? I also
have a question about your suggestion to increase the "breadth of my experience." Would that mean trying out several
different financial services companies or trying different roles in J.P.Morgan or possibly both? I am very interested in your
company's consulting services. Can you please give me a very brief description of the number and types of services that
your company offers? Much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Thomas Wang

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:05 pm
Dear Thomas,

Most schools prefer that you work at least two years before applying, but you are correct, you should apply when you feel you are ready. For most schools, the average number of years experience is 4-5 in their class statistics, which is the amount of experience the students have when they enter the program. By breadth of experience, it is not necessarily changing firms or pursuing different roles, it is broadening your skill set and having some notable accomplishments for your resume. It has to do with exposure and knowledge of your industry. To find out more about the services Stacy Blackman Consulting offers, please visit our website at www.stacyblackman.com. Thank you for your interest.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by mtacher » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:37 pm
i have a
3.3 GPA from University of Arizona...is my gpa to low
minority: dad is from Cuba...does being a minority help me out alot
i think i am going to get a GMAT: 710
I might work for Merrill lynch or some private trading company for 2 years
can i get into
Yale, Columbia, Harvard, NYU, Dartmouth, or any other ivy league schools

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:38 pm
Dear mtacher,

Your 3.3 GPA puts you right at the average for most MBA programs, so you should not be concerned by this component of the application. The transcript will be scrutinized though and how you did in your quantitative coursework will be important. So, if you did not do well (A or B) in those courses, then your quantitative score on the GMAT will need to be strong and you might want to consider taking a couple of math courses. To be competitive for the schools you note, a high GMAT (>700) and solid professional experience will be imperative between now and the time you apply. Likewise, you will want to show you have progressed during your tenure--not necessarily by promotion (but that would be great), but by showing you have been given greater responsibility over time. You also need to have some involvement outside the office in the community or other activities.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by mtacher » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:52 pm
if i complete everything you say will i have a chance for Yale or Columbia

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:49 pm
If you score in the 700s on the GMAT, gain some quality professional experience, and get involved in your community, then you increase your chances for admission at any MBA program. However, it is also critical you put together a strong application package conveying your background and experiences--essays, recommendations, interviews, etc. are all critical components in your evaluation. I encourage you to continue with your research into MBA programs and the admissions process. When the times comes, you will know what you need to do and your application will reflect the time you have spent.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by scholar27 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:49 am
Dear Lisa,
I'm from Toronto and currently attending the University of Toronto. Pursuing my BBA, and will have one year worth of relavant work experience when I graduate, through the co-op system. Does this give me an advantage when I am applying to business schools?
On another note, currently my GPA is around 2.6, thats because of me slacking off first year. However I have upped my game over the last year and a half and by the time I graduate I expect to have my GPA in the range of 2.8-3.0. My intent is to score relatively high on the GMAT, over 680. I'm sure I am capable of that. I was wondering if I am allowed to take the GMAT's while I am still in my third year of school? Also from what I have read, it will not hinder my chances if I write it more than once?
I was planning to apply to U of T Rotman School of Management or Schulich school of business, because they only look at your last two years of school, and I believe my GPA will fall in range with the norm. They say a 3.0 GPA is required over the last two years, and I am sure i can have it around 3.3. WHat are my chances of getting into these two schools? Also what are my chances of getting into either Stanford, Fuqua, Chicago, Berkley or Columbia. THose are the 5 American schools I'm looking at and just wanted to know what my chances were with regards to the American and Canadian schools I have listed. Do you believe I have a shot any of the AMERICAN schools?
My extracurriculars are slighlty above average since I am either an associate or executive on a few associations. I was wondering if with my extra curriculars, my GPA, my work experience, above average essays and a relatively high GMAT scores where I stand.

I know I have a legitimate chance with the Canadian schools ( I think). I am just wondering if American schools will consider the last two years, the way the two Canadian schools do.

Looking forward to your response

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:59 pm
Dear scholar27,

Your co-op experience is relevant and important, but will not count in your years of work experience. Years of work experience is defined as full-time, professional level work after a bachelor's degree is earned. If you are planning to apply to enter business school directly from your undergraduate studies, then this co-op experience will be valuable as you will have professional examples for your essays and recommendations from a professional environment.

You can take the GMAT anytime and your score is valid for 5 years. Many people take it during their third or fourth year of school if they know they will apply to business school within 5 years of that test date. How many times you take the GMAT does not really factor into your evaluation--just the test with the highest total score.

All schools will scrutinize your transcript, and doing well in your final two years will help to mitigate your first year. There are schools that focus on the last two years, but most look at your entire academic history. Schools that focus on only the last two years will usually note this on their websites and/or in their application materials, so you will want to research that on any school you are considering.

Without a GMAT score and not knowing when you are planning to apply, it is hard to comment on your chances at any program as your profile is incomplete. The five US schools you note are highly selective, so you will need to have at/above average numbers to be competitive for those schools.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by Ronnie882 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 pm
Hi Lisa -

I got a 2.9 GPA from the University of Notre Dame, due to the fact that I had to work 3 jobs to help with tuition and room/ board, but I was a valedictorian in high school. I am from South America and I speak Spanish and German fluently.
I have also 6 years work experience at top firms, such as General Electric, NBC Universal, National Basketball Association and Univision Communications. I am currently a board member of the Notre Dame Alumni Board and have done numerous extra curricular activities. I have managed teams of 5 people in my jobs and graduated first of my Financial Management Program at General Electric (2 year rotational program plus classes) and have great reviews and top performance in all my jobs.

If I get a 700+ in the GMAT, do you think I might have a shot at a top 10 school, or should I now even bother to apply with such a low undergrad GPA?

Please advise.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:05 pm
Dear Ronnie882,

I would not let your 2.9 discourage you from applying to any school that you feel is a good match for you. The evaluation is quite holistic, so as long as there is evidence that you will succeed in the classroom, then you can mitigate the GPA. For instance, if you do score in the 700s on the GMAT, that will help to balance a below average GPA. Likewise, a successful track record in your career and writing the optional essay to make your case that you will perform at a higher level in the business school classroom. Study hard for the GMAT, see where your score ends up and reassess your options.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me