What are my chances of getting into grad school?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I graduated in May 2009 with a BS in Accounting but I haven't done anything productive since then. Currently, the only work experience I've had are typical high school jobs like retail and waitering, but nothing related to my major. I majored in Accounting which is supposed to be in pretty high demand right now but I haven't been very active in my job search. This is partly due to laziness but mostly due to anxiety problems.

I just signed up to take the GMAT in February and I'm planning on applying to grad school to get an MS in Accounting with hopes of getting a better chance at landing a job by going through on-campus recruiting which I did not take advantage of during my undergrad.

I only had a 3.11/4.00 GPA during my undergrad. I have not had any kind of job since graduating in 2009. It has almost been 2 years since I graduated and I haven't done anything productive at all. I never got a chance to know any of my professors and I'm afraid that they won't remember me when I ask them for recommendations.

I am really worried about my chances of getting into a grad school. What do you guys think my chances are? What can I do to improve my chances besides score high on the GMAT? I am feeling pretty hopeless right now :(

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jmoy911 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:09 pm
Nawked, I would look towards being more active in trying to find a job. Have you tried temping at some places? This could ensure your route to a full time offer. Being in the field myself (I work at a Big 4 firm), I can vouch that accounting is definitely a high demand field.

Does your undergrad school have an MS program? My school offer a 5 yr program (4 yr undergrad, 1 yr MS) and it was a seamless process in terms of getting into the MS program. In fact, I did not have to write an essay. I basically just had to fill out a simple application form. I would explore this route if offered.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Ttronn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 pm
I'd get in contact with your undergraduate institution's career services center and let them know your situation. Be as honest as you can be without coming off "lazy" in your explanation the last 2 years and see what they can do to help get you started.

I would definately reconsider an application to business school right now. Without meaningful work experience it'll be extremely difficult to secure admission at any reputable program and without trying to sound too presumptuous, it sounds like you might be applying to try to avoid taking the big step from school to employment that you passed over after graduation two years ago. If you aren't 100% certain when/where/why/how you want to attain an MBA I would definately recommend taking time to reflect upon these questions. I can attest to this in a personal way: a year after graduating from my BComm program I was unsatisfied in the workplace mostly because I wasn't happy with my current career, and because I resented my focus on academics in undergrad and my lack of focus on the job-seeking process. I decided that instead of broadening my network and attempting to enhance my career through upward advancement or a career change I wrote the LSAT, scored well, applied to and got accepted to Law School. It was the worst and most expensive decision I ever made. I ended up performing poorly (even with a 90th+ percentile LSAT and a scholarship) because I wasn't into it. I realized in my second year that I attended law school to escape the work world and not because I "loved" it. I decided to withdraw and re-enter the workforce with a renewed vigour. Two years of hard work and networking later and I love my current position and am in the middle of applying to top B-Schools.

Do yourself a favour and don't made the same mistake I did. Time is a such a valuable asset; wasting it by entering a program that you aren't ready for or aren't sure you're totally involved in can be a big waste of it.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mroper12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 am
Hi Nawked. Thank you for sharing a great question.

If you are looking for a pro-active career resource to complement your b-school planning strategy, consider our professional group, USA Leadership Corps (www usaLeadershipCorps org).

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to enhance their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds by leading volunteer nonprofit & small business strategy consulting projects.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps