Weather and or

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Weather and or

by j_shreyans » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:45 pm
Though lively and emotional, the debate over whether certain psychological problems are genetically determined or cemented in early childhood is ultimately irrelevant to the treatment of those problems.

A)Though lively and emotional, the debate over whether certain psychological problems are genetically determined or cemented in early childhood is ultimately irrelevant to the treatment of those problems.

B)The debate if certain psychological problems are determined by genetics, as opposed to cemented in early childhood, is ultimately irrelevant in treating those problems.

C)Regardless of whether certain psychological problems are genetically determined or cemented in early childhood -- the subject of lively debate -- they are ultimately irrelevant to psychological treatment.

D)Certain psychological problems may be determined genetically or cemented in early childhood -- the subject of lively and emotional debate -- but are ultimately irrelevant to their psychological treatment.

E)Even though lively and emotional debate exists whether certain psychological problems are genetically determined or cemented in early childhood, it is ultimately irrelevant to psychological treatment.

OAA

My doubt - Are "weather" and "or" acceptable in one sentence.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:54 pm
Hi j_shreyans,

You asked about the usage of the word "whether", so I'll focus on that question.

The GMAT tends to use the word "whether" WITH the word "or."

eg. Whether this person or that person.

However, the word "whether" CAN have what is referred to as an "implied opposite", so the word "whether" doesn't have to have the word "or" after it.

eg. The diner did not know whether he should have dessert.

Whenever a sentence uses the word "whether', I tend to look for the word "or" (since this is the more common iteration), but the sentence still has to be grammatically correct, no matter which of the two options is used. THAT is the ultimately factor in which answer I choose.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 am
Rich is absolutely right. I'd like to add one thing, though, that may address the source of your confusion...

When, as Rich said, we use "whether" to express a choice between a thing and its opposite, as in "The diner did not know whether he should have dessert," we do NOT use "whether or not." This construction is considered redundant.

So, when making a choice between two things... whether X or Y.

When making a choice between a thing and its opposite... whether X. (NOT whether X or not).
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:30 pm
whether is used when the intent is to depict a choice, an alternative or a possibility. Two most prominent grammatical clues indicate that whether should be used:

1. After prepositions
2. After verbs

Sentence under consideration is a classical example, where whether is used after the preposition over.

Since I see an option using if, this approach can actually prove quite handy in determining whether if or whether should be used:).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses whether vs if usage, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by susanne » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:36 am
OF COURSE whether can be used with "or" why not?
"Whether your performance is, good or bad, I will accept you." this is perfectly grammatically correct.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by coolredwine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:28 am
Idioms.

"Whether" provides us with an option, such as in your question.