This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:52 pm
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
sanjaylakhani wrote:what is the OA

Stuart - can you pls comment what is correct answer in your opinion
I'd go with the original ("A").

The information after "we" is essential to understanding who "we" are, i.e. it's restrictive, and belongs in the main part of the sentence.

(D) would be fine except for the "then" before "graduated".
hi stuart , how does then change the meaning of the sentence ? what does then signify here ?
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:13 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
sanjaylakhani wrote:what is the OA

Stuart - can you pls comment what is correct answer in your opinion
I'd go with the original ("A").

The information after "we" is essential to understanding who "we" are, i.e. it's restrictive, and belongs in the main part of the sentence.

(D) would be fine except for the "then" before "graduated".
hi stuart , how does then change the meaning of the sentence ? what does then signify here ?
Hi!

"then" doesn't change the meaning of the sentence, it's just grammatically incorrect. "We who then graduated ... in the 1960s..." implies that an action took play before the "then", but there's no such action in the sentence.

For example, if a sentence read:

"After experiencing the terror of the cold war, we then graduated from High School"

it would be slightly better (but still awkward - "then" really isn't required for the sentence to make sense, although it does add emphasis to the second event).

"then" is also redundant to "in the 1960s" - if you have a specific time frame, you don't need "then".

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:21 am
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
chidcguy wrote:Can you tell me what do you mean by a restrictive clause?

I picked B because the sentence reads clearly

we were caught in the middle of the crisis in education created by the Soviet Union�s �Sputnik� success

with out the middle phrase
A restrtive clause (or phrase) is information that is necessary to understand the sentence. Most commonly, the GMAT uses "that" to begin a restrictive phrase.

A non-restrictive phrase is "bonus" information that's not necessary to understand the sentence. Most commonly, the GMAT uses "which" to begin a non-restrictive phrase, which will appear between commas.

Here are two examples:

"Law 461, which governs gun control, is up for review."

We already know that we're talking about Law 461, so "which governs gun control" is just bonus description - non-restrictive.

"The law that governs gun control is up for review."

Well, "the law" doesn't tell us enough to understand what the author is discussing. So, "governs gun control" is necessary to understand the sentence - restrictive.
Hi stuart whats wrong with
We who then graduated ...
does the presence of "then " make the SC wrong
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by grbjha » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:05 am
I will go wid A

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anujan007 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 am
Went with B. Read through Stuart's post on the restrictive clause and understood the mistake.

Good to add this to the repertoire of SC rules. :)
My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blocked

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by petrifiedbutstanding » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:30 pm
It's B.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaspreetsra » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:26 am
We who graduated from high school in the Unites States in the early '60 were caught in the middle of the crisis in education created by the Soviet Union's "Sputnik" success.

(A) We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early '60s were
(B) We, who graduated from high school in the United States in the early '60s, were
(C) We who then graduated high school in the United States in the early '60s were
(D) Those of us who then graduated from high school in the United States in the early '60s were
(E) We high school graduates who were in the United States in the early '60s were

IMO:B
My explanation:
'we' is the subject. who.....in the early 60's modifies the subject 'we'. So comma is placed after 'we' and it makes this sentence correct.

Is answer either A or B?
Hard work brings success!

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:23 am
I will go with B, , who....., modifies the subject We.

We were caught.... makes sense.