water

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by ixthoughtxso » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 am
EducationAisle wrote:As in most other Sentence Correction questions, it is not the rules but meaning that supremely decides what the correct answer should be.

Bottomline: Rather than looking at some grammar rule in every Sentence correction question, develop an eye for meaning distortion.
These words are golden. Admittedly I was unable to discern the correct answer when I scanned the choices. However, upon a second glance, in which I looked for meaning distortions, the answer became much more obvious. If it helps, incorporate a 2-step process into your SC arsenal: first look for grammar errors, then look for meaning distortions if the answer is not yet clear.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaspreetsra » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:28 am
Theoretically, water could remain in liquid form indefinitely in extremely low-energy environments, prevented from evaporating its molecules as a result of an insufficient level of kinetic energy present in the molecules on the liquid's surface.

(A) prevented from evaporating its molecules as a result of
(B) prevented from having its molecules evaporated by
(C) its molecules prevented from evaporating by
(D) its molecules prevented from being evaporated as a result of
(E) preventing its molecules from evaporating by

I think 'E'
Hard work brings success!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chiru_sh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:16 pm
EducationAisle wrote:
prashant misra wrote:i chose the option E but its wrong i checked for the explanations provided above but still some confusion regarding the answer
Let us look at a simpler example:

Mercedes can reach up to 200 miles/hr, preventing its engine from overheating by efficient coolants.

The issue with this sentence is that it seems to suggest that Mercedes itself is preventing its engine from overheating. But, an inanimate object (Mercedes in this case) cannot really do anything. Mercedes is actually designed in such as way that its engines is prevented from overheating. Hence, the following would be more appropriate.

Mercedes can reach up to 200 miles/hr, its engine prevented from overheating by efficient coolants.

Hopefully you can now draw parallels.
Hello Ashish,

I have gone through all your posts. I am very clear that Verb-ing must make sense with the subject it is modifying. But I have doubt on option A). Prevented should ideally modify preceding noun phrase. So ultimately "low-energy environments" prevented from evaporating its molecules as a result of. Can you please clarify how option A is wrong. Appreciate your insight.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:47 pm
chiru_sh wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
prashant misra wrote:i chose the option E but its wrong i checked for the explanations provided above but still some confusion regarding the answer
Let us look at a simpler example:

Mercedes can reach up to 200 miles/hr, preventing its engine from overheating by efficient coolants.

The issue with this sentence is that it seems to suggest that Mercedes itself is preventing its engine from overheating. But, an inanimate object (Mercedes in this case) cannot really do anything. Mercedes is actually designed in such as way that its engines is prevented from overheating. Hence, the following would be more appropriate.

Mercedes can reach up to 200 miles/hr, its engine prevented from overheating by efficient coolants.

Hopefully you can now draw parallels.
Hello Ashish,

I have gone through all your posts. I am very clear that Verb-ing must make sense with the subject it is modifying. But I have doubt on option A). Prevented should ideally modify preceding noun phrase. So ultimately "low-energy environments" prevented from evaporating its molecules as a result of. Can you please clarify how option A is wrong. Appreciate your insight.

Hi Chiru,

VERB-ed(Past Participle) modify the subject of the previous clause and DON'T necessarily modify preceding noun phrase.

options A means that Water PREVENTED from evaporating....Does this seems logical? No!

Hope this helps!
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!