Wait for Promotion/More Work Experience?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Wait for Promotion/More Work Experience?

by wisebrain » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 am
I currently have two years of advisory experience with a Big 4 audit firm. I would like to move into strategy consulting, specifically global growth/expansion. I am also aiming for Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Stanford, and Columbia. I have a 710, 3.9 GPA, and was an accounting/finance major from a large state school.

I am up for promotion this year, but given the economy my chances are looking slim. I would like to apply this year, but do you think I should wait until I get promoted and/or have more work experience?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:17 am
Dear Wisebrain,

Thank you for your inquiry. You have oustanding grades and a solid GPA, so the question really hinges on how your profile will change in other ways (work experience and community involvement) if you delay your application by a year.

If you remain at work without the promotion, will you have simply more work experience, or will you gain better work experience - more leadership, more responsibility, more international involvement, etc. Similarly, if your community involvement is weak, will another year at work, even if it's doing essentially the kind of work you're doing now, allow you the time to enhance that part of your profile?

The schools you mention - HBS in particular - tend to skew young, so two years of experience (three by the time you matriculate) is a very typical amount of time. The answer really comes down to what the best use of that extra year is and whether it can make your application stronger.

If you want to elaborate further we can continue this discussion and see if I can offer more specific advice once I have more detailed information on your profile.

Best wishes,

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php