Wait for Promotion/More Work Experience?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Wait for Promotion/More Work Experience?

by wisebrain » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 am
I currently have two years of advisory experience with a Big 4 audit firm. I would like to move into strategy consulting, specifically global growth/expansion. I am also aiming for Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Stanford, and Columbia. I have a 710, 3.9 GPA, and was an accounting/finance major from a large state school.

I am up for promotion this year, but given the economy my chances are looking slim. I would like to apply this year, but do you think I should wait until I get promoted and/or have more work experience?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:42 pm
Hi wisebrain and thanks for your question.

Most bschools look for 2-5 years of work experience on average. However, it is important that you are able to clearly demonstrate both growth (through promotions or additional responsibilities), leadership, and impact regardless of the number of years of experience.

Given the other aspects of your candidacy seem quite solid, if you can demonstrate that you have indeed had growth and leadership opportunities there is no need to wait another year to apply.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.