VR CR :Ten years ago the number of taxpayers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Ten years ago the number of taxpayers in Green County was slightly greater than the number of registered voters. The number of taxpayers has doubled over the last ten years, while the number of registered voters has increased, but at a lower rate than has the number of taxpayers.

Which of the following must be true in Greenspace County if the statements above are true?

A) The number of taxpayers is now smaller than the number of registered voters.
B) Everyone who is a registered voter is also a taxpayer.
C) The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has increased over at the last ten years.
D) The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has decreased over at the last ten years.
E) The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has remained unchanged over at the last ten years.

D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sun Light » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm
Slightly greater, doubled, increased at a lower rate...

Some key words that I considered answering the question..

Was shakkyy at select ING C, but C it is..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 am
NandishSS wrote:Ten years ago the number of taxpayers in Green County was slightly greater than the number of registered voters. The number of taxpayers has doubled over the last ten years, while the number of registered voters has increased, but at a lower rate than has the number of taxpayers.

Which of the following must be true in Greenspace County if the statements above are true?

A) The number of taxpayers is now smaller than the number of registered voters.
B) Everyone who is a registered voter is also a taxpayer.
C) The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has increased over the last ten years.
D) The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has decreased over the last ten years.
E) The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has remained unchanged over the last ten years.
Test an EASY CASE.
Try to show that four of the five options do NOT have to be true.

Ten years ago the number of taxpayers in Green County was slightly greater than the number of registered voters.
Ten years ago: 100 taxpayers, 95 voters, V/T = 95/100 = 95%.
The number of taxpayers has doubled over the last ten years, while the number of registered voters has increased, but at a lower rate than has the number of taxpayers.
Now: 200 taxpayers, 150 voters, V/T = 150/200 = 75/100 = 75%.

In the case above:
A, C and E are not true.
B does not have to true, since it is possible that none of the voters is also a taxpayer.

The correct answer is D.

D: The proportion of registered voters to taxpayers has decreased over the last ten years
In the case above, V/T decreases from 95% to 75%.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3