Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:540
Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an industry convention more productive in terms of boosting sales. The booth offers information introducing the company's new products and services. To achieve the desired result, Vitacorp's marketing department will attempt to attract more people to the booth. The marketing director's first measure was to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and personally invite them to visit the booth.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the marketing director's first measure will contribute to meeting the goal of boosting sales?

(A) Vitacorp's salespeople routinely inform each important customer about new products and services as soon as the decision to launch them has been made.
(B) Many of Vitacorp's competitors have made plans for making their own information booths more productive in increasing sales.
(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth.
(D) Most of Vitacorp's best customers also have business dealings with Vitacorp's competitors.
(E) Vitacorp has fewer new products and services available this year than it had in previous years.

I choose the option D because the question states that which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the marketing director's first measure will contribute to meeting the goal of boosting sales. I thought that D would best strengthen the first measure taken by the marketing director.
But the OA is C. According to the OA, it seems that the goal of boosting sales is strengthened.

Can anyone explain this question with proper reasoning.
Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
https://www.sahilchaudhary007.blocked

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:42 am
Director's measure to attract more people to booth by inviting company's Best Customers..

{C} CORRECT; An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth - this is an assumption of the Director that people get attracted to those stored where customers are being attended. Even if best customers don't buy the product.. there presence will definitely attract other people around

{D} INCORRECT; Most of Vitacorp's best customers also have business dealings with Vitacorp's competitors -- This may just partially strengthen the conclusion as the purpose of calling best customers is to attract more people to booth. -- Best customers are already aware of the brand - What if they don't buy anything
R A H U L

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:35 am
first of all what is the prediction---->That the marketing director's first measure will contribute to increase sale. what is the first measure? the first measure is to call first five best customers? and why he want to call customers? because he want to attract more people? and how you can attract more people?

C says that an information booth well attended tends to attract visitors. it strengthen the prediction. now comes to D
d says most of the vitacorp's best customer also have business dealings with vitacorp's competitor. then they cant be ur best customers because they also buy from ur competitor. what if you call your 5 best customers who also buy from ur competitor. then most of them might not attend vitacorp booth. or those might compare ur products with competitors.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by cd86 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:40 am
keeping in mind that "Vitacorp's marketing department will attempt to attract more people to the booth. The marketing director's first measure was to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and personally invite them to visit the booth. "

is the conclusion , we need to find an aswer that adresses this fact. Only C has any conneciton to he conclusion.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:11 pm
The above replies have been very good. I would just like to add one or two things.

This is a PLAN question. Yes it is a strengthen question, but is a PLAN question first of all. A plan question can be recognized because it does not have a traditional conclusion such as "we should move our investments to Bank X from Bank Y" or something like this. Instead it has a PLAN and a GOAL.

The GOAL is to boost sales; the PLAN is to invite five best customers to the booth.

Your job is to show that the PLAN will achieve the GOAL. In other words, what indicates that taking this action will achieve this goal?

In this case the action will result in a well-visited booth. Yet these are already the best customers so that might not necessarily buy more from Vitacorp. So C connects us to the GOAL. A well-populated booth results in more attention and (presumably) more sales.

This is a way to focus on all questions that are essentially PLAN and GOAL questions. You can recognize these because they have do not have a normal conclusion and you are asked to show that something is more OR LESS likely to achieve a result - such as boosting sales.

14% of all of the questions in the OG 13th edition are plan questions so this is a major category.

Hope it helps!

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Amadalia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am
Dear David
Could you please point me out some examples of those goal-plan questions
I really need to work more on them!!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:13 pm
Amadalia wrote:Dear David
Could you please point me out some examples of those goal-plan questions
I really need to work more on them!!!!
In OG 13, #1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16, 22, 24, 29, 30, 33, 42, 53, 88, 90, 97, and 117 are categorized as Evaluation of a Plan.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test