Round 1 - GMAT (1) - ME (0) - 650 (49q, 30v)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi All,

Gave my GMAT 2 days back and got a 650 :-( (49q, 30v)

Funny part about my breakup, during my preparation i had never scored more than 47 in quant and less than 31 in verbal....so i achieved my max and min the same test....such is life

Profile Not a typical indian profile - I am Bcom with already an MBA (from India) in the bag. Have 4.25 yrs of workex till date in business research (90%) and consulting (10%) domain and BTW my work is 100% non IT, non software

My Preparation

I had put in sold 3.5 months into this, around 20 hrs per week. I will not go into details of the material or strategy, since it seems to be common with most the blogger....ranging from OG to SC MGMAT to Flash Card

I had given few CATs before the exam
- GMATPrep - 650 range
- MGMAT - 650-660 range (I thought the range was +/-40 points, I mean it didnt have to be so exact)

So, where did i go wrong (Post mortem)

After i was done with the quant section, i was fully confident that i had done well on it, since i was getting some absurd questions. All i needed to do was get a ~35 in verbal and 700+ would be breeze...seems so simple na.

My verbal section started a bit slow, I took a lot of time on the initial questions.......CR was bit tougher than what i was used to (It used to be strength area)......SC questions, i simply could not find any error in them......so it was guessing game on feel good factor.......RC (again tougher than i had expected).......but i should have managed it with MGMAT approach.......BUT the most critical error i made was....managing my time......mid way the verbal section i realized, i was on question 20 with only 30 min in hand and then the panic started, i started skimming the question, spending less than 1 min on some of the questions.......net net TIME screwed me ( BTW - i have never been in a situation in any of my exam till date, where i had a time crunch problem - so didn have a back up plan here)

I dont know but there seems to a trend in low verbal score, not sure why is happening with lot of us.

What next ?
I have couple of options, but not sure which is right one (so probably, you guys can help me out here)

Option 1 :
Apply with 650 and hope to make it to a descent Bschool (Compromise on my dream)
- Advantage - dont have to go thru the pain again and can spend good amount of time on my essays
- Disadvantage - well 650 is a low score and will hamper my chances

Option 2 : Study again and give GMAT in December i.e. before round 2 closes for most of the colleges (I think if i need to push my score in verbal i need to revisit my fundamentals, it will require more than 1 month of just solving SC, RC and CR questions).
- Advantage - will be able to improve my score
- Disadvantage - Round 2 would mean lower probability of getting selected

Option 3: Forget about GMAT for a year and make my profile stronger and come back with a better score
- Advantage - increase in chance, since my work ex will be more than 6 yrs in mid to senior level management
- Disadvantage - Its TOOO far

So, guys here is it....let me know your thoughts

SM

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 pm
OPTION 2

Round 2 is not that bad. Focus on your essays and the rest of your application and re-take the GMAT.

Good luck!
GMAT DELIGHT