Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please rate my first essay. TIA

by mkgeetha » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:36 am
All,

Please rate my essay very critically.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Geetha

The quesion is “Some have argued that the salaries of corporate executives should be linked to those of their lowest-paid

employees. This, they argue, will improve relations between management and workers, reducing costly labor

disputes and increasing worker productivity. What these people overlook, however, is that these high

salaries are necessary to attract the best managers, the individuals whose decisions have the greatest impact

on the overall well-being of the company.”

Which do you find more compelling, the contention that worker and executive salaries should be linked, or the

response to it? Support your position with reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or

reading.

---------------------------

My essay :

I strongly agree with the argument that the salaries of corporate executives should be linked to those of

thier lowest-paid employees. Such an action would definitely result in improving the relations between

employees and management.It would boost the morale of the workers and motivate them to work better thereby

resulting in overall increase in profitability of the company.

Though the author rightly points out that huge salaries are necessary to attract the best managers, he fails

to note that the best managers don't necessarily make companies most profitable. The decisions taken by

managers have a huge impact on the policies taken by the companies, but the execution of all policies are

done by the employees. The manager might take the best possible decision, but it would fail if the employees

feel disgruntled about their low salaries and perks in comparison with those of the top management. This

would lead to break-down of communication channels between workers and management and result total

demotivation of the workers.

On the otherhand, if the workers feel that they are treated as valuable assets of the company on par with top

management, by paying reasonable salaries, they would feel loyal to the company and give in their best

everyday. As an example I would like to quote the success story of a start up processed food industry in

India called Lijjat Papad. It was started by a few women in a neighbourhood who came together and formed a

co-operative society to make the members earn decent livelyhood by making and selling a lnthil based snack

called 'Papad'. One of the policies that was laid out by the management was that the money received by any

woman would be proportional to the quatity of 'Papad' that she brings in a day. It would not be based on the

position that the woman holds in the co-operative society. This made each worker feel that they are part of

the organization and that the success of the company is directly related to their effort. This resulted in

making 'Lijjat' one of most respected and recognized organization in their home country.

Another example would be the increased feeling of ownership and pride that employees perceive when they are

offered ESOPs by their companies. There were notable examples of companies, esp in the information technology

area, becoming highly successful in terms of productivity, profitability and employee retention after issuing

stock options to their employees.

In conclusion I feel that the salaries of the top management should be linked to the salaries of the workers

to improve overall profitablity of companies.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Richa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:13 am
Hi, I read your essay and I totally agree to your point of views. I am a new member in the forum and also I am preparing for my GMAT. I feel your essay hold a Good Rating.

Also can you guide me which books to refer for grammer. Thanks bye.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by wilderness » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 am
Hi,

Your essay is good and concrete. However I choose to take the other side on this topic. So here is what I wrote.
Looking forward to your comments about my performance

Although the British Prime Minister who sits in 10 Downing Street and the door keeper, who opens the door when head of states visit Prime Minster office, work in the same building and are paid by the same government, yet their tasks are poles apart from each other. Hence their salary, facilities and performance evaluation procedures cannot be linked. The same applies to the salary structure in a company.

The tasks and goals assigned to a corporate manager are much different from that of a lowest-paid employee. Consequently linking the salaries of both would be an unfair marriage that is unlikely to produce successful results. Linking the salaries together might discourage low-paid employees from putting an extra effort in their work. Since the gauge to check the output of both class of employees is different, it would be unfair and hence unproductive to tie their financial rewards together.

Linking the salaries of corporate managers will not be a guarantee against labor disputes. During an inflation period, the low paid employees could demand an upward revision of the linking factor i.e. labor unions could argue that the lowest paid employee should now get 1/8th of the salary of corporate mangers instead of 1/10th that he might be getting before. This could lead to labor disputes, something which this linking aimed to avoid.

Companies compete with each other in hiring the best managers attracting them with better salaries that the competition. Linking this with the pay of lowest-paid employee means that hiring a good manager on a higher pay would translate in a salary increase of the lowest paid employee as well. This would increase the total labor costs that can ultimately affect the profitability of the company in comparison with the competition. This increase in costs could have a negative impact on the long term standing of the company.

While labor unions might love this idea of linking the salaries, it is doubtful that it can produce successful results in the long run for the company itself and hence its employees.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mkgeetha » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:35 am
Your essay is well structured with stong,compelling argument.But I feel that you could use a little more variety in words and phrases, instead of repeating some of them (just my feeling).

I am not good at rating essays, but I would rate it this 5+.

Rgds,
Geetha