While Hands

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

While Hands

by akhpad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:57 am
Source: GMAT Prep

While Hans Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his English portraits, scholars have long been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the rational tradition of Northern Europe.

(A) been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
(B) been recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
(C) recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist who
(D) recognized him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
(E) recognized him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
Last edited by akhpad on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:25 am
Quite weird. So, you are saying GMATPrep is ok with the following sentence:

..., scholars have long recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the tradition of Northern Europe.

This is not making sense at all. Does look like a typo, though I am not sure we can expect that in Gmatprep.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member

by akhpad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 am
IMO: C
Last edited by akhpad on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
akhpad wrote:Source: GMAT Prep

While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his English portraits, scholars have long been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the tradition of Northern Europe.

A. been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
B. been recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
C. recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist who
D. recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
E. recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who

I understood that C is the best option but why "been" is not required in C. Did GMATPrep make an error?
I don't know from where you copied this question. This question is not posted correctly.

Replace 'Recognizing' in last 3 options by 'Recognized'

I was confused after reading this question again and again because none of the options in the question you posted make sense.

Please be careful while posting the question.

Legendary Member

by saketk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:27 am
One more thing that I just noticed. The name is Hans Holbein. I just read the question again and my eye caught this name. Last year around this time I saw his work in 'British Museum', London.

Legendary Member

by akhpad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:32 am
There was copy and paste error.
Last edited by akhpad on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by saketk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:36 am
akhpad wrote:Have you ever heart about GMAT Prep Software?

This is a controversial question and is also at https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/whi ... t1934.html

Not needed to waste time on it.
saketk wrote: I don't know from where you copied this question. This question is not posted correctly.

Please be careful while posting the question.
Yes, I've Heard and not heart about GMAT Prep software.

And I am 100% sure you did NOT read the thread carefully. The link you pasted above also contains the CORRECT question.

Read the post made by "tankobe"

Legendary Member

by saketk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:39 am
I visited the British Museum twice. Again, the correct name is 'Hans Holbein'. GMAC will NEVER EVER mess up with the name of a famous artist.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:17 am
IMO C.

recognizing/recongnized him for - wrong usage with for 'recognize X as Y' should be used so B and E can be eliminated.

A - usage of 'and who' makes the second part an independent clause and doesn't give clear meaning
D - usage of 'and he' - same error as A
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ArunangsuSahu » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 pm
The solution is (C)
1. It has started with Present tense. So Present Perfect in the last Sentence is OK and the CHoice C is concise and clarity is being presented