I'm stressing over my goal of 550! (Don't laugh! Lol)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
So it might just be all the GMAT websites that seem to have everyone shooting for 700's ...or posts by some saying they studied a lot and got in the 400's (shudder) but I'm very worried about getting a 550...and have 4 months to study! I keep telling myself it's an average score and it basically means you only have to do better than half the people that take it but it's not calming me down lol. For example the diagnostic test on the OG I only got 2 right from the first 15 probs...Eek! And not to great on the verbal part...Mostly it's just stress anxiety. Any advice or comments would be great...btw I have the Manhattan books...been looking at Kaplans book for the math concepts and love it and I'm aware of all the other GMAT books and have all the big GMAT flashcards printed and I'm also trying to dedicate about a couple hours of studying a day and am signed up for the 60-day (so far is just saying take tests that arent really helping and worrying me more!)...thanks for any helpful tips!!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm
Hey Ann,

Don't let the forums fool you - 550 on the GMAT is an above average score, so it's certainly nothing to laugh at or underestimate. I just read an article in Runner's World about how we should do away with the term "half-marathon" because it sort of demeans a pretty impressive accomplishment (you wouldn't call a 10-mile run a "half 20-miler"), and I think that there's a lot of that same sentiment out there about the GMAT, too. Less than half of test-takers score 550 or better - it's definitely a challenge to get to that point and certainly not something that you want to underestimate!

Since you have four months to study, I'd recommend "keeping it casual" in a way...you've already mentioned stress/anxiety (and the word Eek! - capitalized!), so it sounds like that could be a factor if you let it. So what I'd recommend most is:

Take time to learn the logic behind the rules you're learning.

There's a huge psychological difference between "I hope I can remember this" and "I know this". So while you're learning, say, exponent rules, don't just accept a flashcard that says:

x^y * x^z = x^(y+z)

Use small numbers and prove it to yourself. Math isn't Latin...math is logic. It's not true because someone says it's true. It's just TRUE. So if you prove it to yourself:

x^2 * x^3

is the same as
xx * xxx

Which is just xxxxx, which is x^5. So you have to add those exponents because all each exponent really means is how many times you multiply that number by itself. x^2 means "2 x's" and x^3 means "3 x's".

Proving rules like this to yourself has two huge benefits over just memorizing them:

1) It's a much deeper knowledge of the rule, so you're a lot less likely to forget it or to just forget which order it's supposed to go in. And maybe more importantly, the GMAT loves to test "reverse engineering" of concepts, via which you often have to take a multi-step process and work backward or start in the middle. Memorization usually only works one way, from a to z. Really knowing "why" helps you start at m and get back to a, or just get from m to z.

2) Once you've shown yourself that you can prove a rule, you can relax knowing that if you do forget it you're never more than 15-20 seconds away from "teaching it to yourself" all over again. There's no real need to panic when you KNOW the rule, or at least the logic behind it, because you're not relying on photographic-style memory...you're much more flexible with your knowledge and can always recreate it as needed.

So as you're studying, take a little time to think about "why". If you blank on a rule, try to teach it to yourself before you just look it up. The more you KNOW, and aren't just trying to remember, the easier it is to be confident and to build on top of that. And since you have some time to get to that point, I think you'll enjoy the process a little more that way, too, and shouldn't feel any need to cram or race through things.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

by mgomes11 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:37 am
Hi Ann,

I was in your position a year ago. I historically have done horrible on standardized tests and was definitely stressing about just getting my GMAT score in the mid 500's. So with about 2 months to study I decided to purchase the Knewton online classes because it seemed to have the best program at a very reasonable price! I was extremely pleased with Knewton. The online classes were very helpful and provided great tips and tricks to approach each GMAT question. I fortunately was able to with the help of Knewton to reach my goal and score in the mid 500s; and that score was good enough to get me into grad school at the University of Notre Dame to obtain my Macc. So you should consider Knewton in addition to the other prep material you currently are using.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by maus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 pm
Hi Ann,

Listen to Brian - he knows his stuff! He gave me the same advice, and I feel like it really helped. I have taken my test and scored in the high 590's and will retake it again, but honestly, I have a feeling with a little more studying and LEARNING not MEMORIZING, I'll make it into the 600's.

You can do it, but not without the hard work! :)

Good luck to you!!!! (and thanks Brian :D)
Maus
<:3)))~~~

by sgarora » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm
I would recommend that you buy the Manhattan GMAT package with all of the books. I am sure that once you complete those, along with the recommended OG questions, you'll be set to score higher than 550!