Bold questions! What is the truth ?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Bold questions! What is the truth ?

by TkNeo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm
I don't see any of those bold questions in the OG. The ones in which one has to pick what the two bold statements say relative to the overall meaning..

There seem to be 2 in every MGMAT questions and i definitely spend more than usual time on them and definitely get both of them wrong..

Does anyone know whether they appear on the real GMAT ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: Bold questions! What is the truth ?

by aim-wsc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 pm
TkNeo wrote:I don't see any of those bold questions in the OG. The ones in which one has to pick what the two bold statements say relative to the overall meaning..

There seem to be 2 in every MGMAT questions and i definitely spend more than usual time on them and definitely get both of them wrong..

Does anyone know whether they appear on the real GMAT ?
Yes! they do appear in real GMAT exam!
However earlier (before ~~mid 2005~~) there used to be no such questions in CR of GMAT.

Problem is OG verbal supplement has questions from old era ;) I think OG 11th Orange book has some (?two?) bold faced questions.

Manhattan GMAT has just revised their books and thus might have added few bold questions.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:10 pm
Bolded statement questions are a "relatively" new addition to the real GMAT and test takers report that they're showing up more reguarly - most people see between 0 and 3 of them on test day.

Bolded statement questions also appear on Kaplan CATs (they should appear on any up-to-date CATs in the marketplace).

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmmyc » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:27 pm
You will usually see 0 - 3 bolded questions on the actual GMAT.

Manhattan GMAT's Critical Reasoning book has a chapter on bolded questions called "Analyze the Argument". In there, they also point out the very few bolded questions contained in the OG and include 10 of their own as well.