What to do with RC's that dumbfounded you...

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

What to do with RC's that dumbfounded you...

by TkNeo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 pm
I have across RC's that would be for a very high score and hence very difficult only to leave me completely mystified. ! Now its very importance to get the central meaning of an RC since one is at a risk of incorrectly answering all of the related questions...

How should one proceed in that case? I took a test today that had 4 RC's. 4th one was very hard. I read it twice since my reading speed is decent.. but i had no clue what happened. I guessed on the first question, which asked the central meaning blah blah. I thought the next 2 questions would be concentrated on exact text and hence easier to answer only to be proved wrong. All were inference based questions on central idea of the passage. As expected, I got all wrong :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:33 pm
RC is really tough to advise people on because certain strategies work well for some people, but poorly for others.

If you are in a situation where you have an really tough passage that is confusing you, my advice is to try employing multiple reading strategies to try extracting the meaning. For example, you can:
  • Read through the passage entirely - see what you get
  • Read the topic sentence of each paragraph - see if you can get a gist of the story
  • Write down an outline of key points as you read
  • etc.
Take this advice with a grain of salt because unfortunately you have only a limited amount of time for each question--you DO NOT want to let any passage throw you off pace from completing the section!

Conclusion: understand a few techniques for RC, and be prepared to use them for the tough ones.

I hope this helps!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school