I (almost) cracked the GMAT but need help! [620 Q45 V29]

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Ok guys, let's try to explain my situation.

I am a 22 years old student fro Italy. So no, English is not my mother language. I haven't got a strong background
, I have done pretty bad in high schools and I have a Bachelor Degree in Managment [final score was 93 out 110]

So, no, I haven't got a great background. But I decided to take the GMAT in order to gain the possibility to access a good Master Degree - here in Italy or in Europe. My target score has always been 650.

And i took the GMAT. Is't been an hard challenge. First of all, I have really learned English in an intnership in America (3 months during 2008) BUT, as you can imagine, the language I used to speak wasn't exactly the best for the GMAT. I *brainwashed* myself a lot.

And then the math. I always had a tremendous feeling with math, and this feeling was pure fear.

I took the GMAT on 8th January 2010. Before this month I studied hard, very very hard. Three months, 3 hour day avarage. I used Kaplan, Kaplan 800, CR power reasoning bible, MGMAG, OG 12 and this forum. I decided to focus mainly on my weakness, taking specific exercises day by day on various topic (ex: Monday overslapping sets, T. combinatory problems and so on].

The result was 620. Which for a non native english speaker is good, after all. But I commited a bad mistake: i dind't take more than 3 CAT. 2 from MGMAT and 1 downloaded from mba.com.

The result of this mistake has been a tremendous quantitative part and an horrible verbal part. And this should't have happened because I have exercised both verbal and quantitative parts. I had a nervous breackdown midway the verbal part just because I was tired. Really really tired.

And this is what I blame about myself: if I had done more CAT, I would have much more better.

So, i decided to retake the GMAT.

I have the next test 25th of February, but I am worried. How can i retake the test? I had three CAT simulation in 3 days, and the results were horrendous (test from mba.com 1, test from mba.com 2, test from barron's CDROM - 530, 530, 600).

How can I do? I know I can do much more better. Please, help me experts!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:01 am
First of all...Congrats. Its not easy for a non native speaker to improve... Hats off!!!

If you aimed for 650, i suppose you should be happy with a 620. A 30-pt increase wont do much good. If you do wanna give the test again, just practice as much as you can. Give 1 CAT a week. Review the CAT's well though.