Ivey or Queens?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:610

Ivey or Queens?

by ebehboud » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:25 am
I got an admission to Ivey and Queens. Not sure which one to pick. Queens ranked #1 in Businessweek last year, but they don't praticipate in any other rankings.

Here's what I want out of MBA- I'm returning back to my current company. Plan to apply to it's MBA Development program- Managerial rotation program. Therefore, I'm not a career changer.

Ivey is know for General Management- It's got two concentrations Marketing/Finance.
Queens- No idea what they are known for....

Any comment?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Adas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:39 am
It could depend on the industry you're in...

To be honest with you, it seems to me like Ivey and Queen's are at a comparable level. When you take everything into account, they are most often considered the top schools in Canada. You have to remember that a big part of a business education is what YOU do with it vs what it does for you. I have a BBA from a relatively new Canadian institution. Mind you, I tried getting into the likes of Schulich (considered by some the best undergrad business program in the country), however it was not to be. Then, coming out of school I got a job with a top global financial institution because I was able to leverage my network, seek out job opportunities, and make it work.

With regards to these two schools, the one big thing that sets them apart is Ivey's concentration on the case study method. Again, depending on your industry and how you will use and portray this experience, it could be a great asset. At the same time, Queen's combination of various teaching methods (they do cases too) coupled with their team-based program could also be seen as beneficial.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I'm hoping to have the same dilemma as you very soon as I've applied to both schools ;) I'm curious to read what others have to say on this topic...

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by greener66 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 am
In my opinion Ivey is the much better school by reputation. Queens is a good school but I probly wouldn't put it in the top tier in Canada.

It would likely go

Tier 1 (in no order)
Rotman
Ivey
Schulich

Tier 2
Queens
Sauder

Again it depends what you really want. I had no interested in a one year program so I didn't apply to either Queens or Ivey. If I were you I would visit both programs and determine which one 'fits" you best. As i've gone through the application experience I can tell you first hand, some schools you feel at home whereas others you will not. You want to spend the next 1-2 years somewhere you will enjoy.

Best of luck !

by wisdom02 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 am
Dear,

I beleive Ivy is much betteroption than Queens. Ivy is also quite selective as compare to queen. Thedifference is two year vs one-yearMBA Program well. If thats not a constrain then i will recommmend IVY.

Regards

by lindsay0032 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:23 pm
Ivey, definately Ivey