I am sure to miss the 1st round of applications for Fall2011

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
HI Folks,

I am a marketing professional and due to my excessive travelling and long hours at work I do not feel comfortable appliying for the 1st round for the fall of next year for the simple reason that I need to further prepare mysefl for taking the GMAT. I am looking at the second round which for most B schools is in the month of Dec.

Let me have your candid feedback on this:

If I do apply in Dec, does that slim down my chances of getting thru the schools of my choice and what are the chances of me getting through should I apply for the 2nd round instead of the 1st?

Please advise

Many thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:770

by albatross86 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 am
Hi Niketa,

I'm no expert but a fellow MBA aspirant. I empathize with your issue with the giving the GMAT, but if you are reasonably prepared, I recommend you give it as soon as possible as you need time to prepare your essays.

Essentially round 1 and round 2 are equivalent - adcomms do tend to try and fill in the gaps in round 2, and yes - if someone with a similar profile as you applied in round 1 and is being considered, they would probably get priority over you and could possibly cost you a seat. However this is a rather specific case and not a common situation.

I wouldn't worry - focus on your GMAT, try and get that awesome score and really go at it in round 2. Since you missed round 1 you could go overdrive and try to apply to 3 dream schools, 2 reach and 1 safety, or something like that.

Good luck!
~Abhay

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. -- Andre Gide

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:53 pm
If you believe your applications will be stronger in the second round then you should absolutely apply in that round. Applicants are admitted in all rounds.

My only advice would be not to assume that you will be less busy in December. Approach your applications as if you are applying for the first round (or at least very early in the second round). Give yourself time to retake your GMAT if necessary and make sure to give your recommenders ample time as well (about a month should suffice).

There are schools with "late" first round deadlines. For instance, UNC's true first round deadline is December 3rd. It might be a deadline you could make!

But, there are always spots for qualified applicants so don't beat yourself up too much if you can't make it by R1.

Signed,
A successful Round Three applicant (Booth and Stern).
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ReachingHigher » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:09 pm
I actually have a question related to this. If you find yourself taking the GMAT in November, is it possible to finish essays in 1.5 months?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:630

by odannyboi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm
ReachingHigher wrote:I actually have a question related to this. If you find yourself taking the GMAT in November, is it possible to finish essays in 1.5 months?
Yup... depends on how many essays you plan on doing.

I know one guy who did his essay in a day or two and got into Kellogg...

I plan on making some rd1 deadlines in mid december and plan on taking the gmat in 2-3 weeks. However, I am already thinking of what to write about..