Big Dilemma-Advice Wanted

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Big Dilemma-Advice Wanted

by skippapotamus » Fri May 08, 2009 9:57 pm
Hi there everyone.

I have a huge decision to make in the upcoming week and I am looking for your opinion to help me.

I have been accepted to 3 different programs. One is a top 20 US school, one is in the top 30 and the other is the Queens-Cornell EMBA.

The two US programs are full time 21 month programs. The top 20 offered me no scholarship. The second US program has offered me a full-ride plus a yearly stipend (about $90k US total.) And there is no scholarship with the Cornell-Queens offered to any students.

My real decision is between the full ride and the QC. If I take the full time, I obviously have to take two years with no income, plus maybe a pay cut for a couple of years after graduation (current income ~$120k CDN.) My employer has not indicated either way about any assistance with the QC EMBA, tuition is $96k CDN.

I am financially solvent enough that either option will not mean a huge impact on my current expenses. But, I am possibly going to give up $240-250k CDN in income if I take the full time MBA, plus it does mean a move to the US and I do plan on moving back to Canada.

Considering the ranking of the Johnson (Cornell) MBA versus the prestige of showing a full-ride scholarship as an accomplishment on my resume, what would be your choice? I am also 37 years old, so I would be the old dog in a full time program.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by MBA_Dilemma » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:35 pm
Hi skippapotamus,

what did you decide? I am just curious as I am in another dilemma myself.