frustrated

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

frustrated

by bullshark » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Just took the GMAT again two days ago after studying for about 4 months.
660 (Q47, V34) 82%

AWA
Was able to write complete essays with recommended structure but I don't think my argument and examples were that strong. Same with the Analysis essay.

Quant
Felt ok through the questions. Took my time on the first 6-7 questions and then seemed to get on a decent roll. Although a few seemingly simple questions tripped me up a bit, so ended up guessing and moving on, remembering not to get bogged down on any one single question..

Another thing is that one of the quant questions had a venn diagram with a shaded portion. I couldn't see any shaded portion. I ended up just guessing on that one. It wasn't until a later question that had really dimmed parentheses in the equation that I realized that the contrast was set so high on the monitor that it made any shading invisible.

I was able to get through all of the questions except that last two which I had to blindly guess on because time was running out.

Verbal
Took my time on the first 5 questions. I wanted to start out strong. After about 10 minutes I got a bad headache and had a hard time concentrating on the RC and CR. The SC seemed ok but for the RC and CR, I had to read the stems over and over. The answers seemed to run and overlap into each other. This killed my timing and I ended up having to blindly guess on the last 8-9 questions and didn't even get to the last two questions. Even though I told myself that I will make sure to not leave any question unanswered.

This was so frustrating after studying for so long. Especially after I was getting 730+ on gmatprep exams and 690+ on mgmat exams. Although i figured those scores may be skewed due to having come into previously seen questions, I thought I would still be able to get at least 700.
My first GMAT score was 600(Q37,V35). Although I increased my quant score by 10 points my verbal score dropped by 1. arrgh. I don't want to sit here and just blame my headache but it was the catalyst that started the ball rolling downhill for verbal for me. With each question that I had to rush-on/guess it only caused more anxiety for the next question.

Next steps
I am staying away from any GMAT stuff for 1-2weeks. I just bought a copy of "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.
Great book for inspiration to follow your dreams.

I'm going to get back to studying, concentrating on verbal in stressfull test/timed conditions. I plan on taking it again in 3 months.
Last edited by bullshark on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

message deleted

by bullshark » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm
message deleted
Last edited by bullshark on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by JeffB » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:21 pm
Bull...hehe I hope that's not an actual exam question...That's definitely not allowed to be posted...You should delete it immediately.

Good Luck with your prep.

GMAT Score:720

by uymba » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:39 pm
The Alchemist is a great book!
You'll do great next time!!

Regards!
=============
Go for 700+!!
https://mbajourney12.blocked/