Accepted to Michigan - Ross and Austin - McCombs P/T!!!

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I am really at a loss about where to go however. Ross is better ranking wise and I can major in finance. Austin you can only major in general management but its in Austin, the best economy in the country and Michigan is the worst economy in the country. I loved the people I talked to at both. I will be moving and looking for new employment wherever I go.

Austin has better weather, better business environment, better pretty much everything. You can switch to the full time program at Ross after a year if I feel like it.

Where should I go?

by fleckre » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:19 pm
I would go to Ross. However, I grew up in Ann Arbor and love the city. I wouldn't base your decision too much on the economy of each school's state. Ross is the type of degree that will take you anywhere, including Austin. Another thing I particularly like about Ross is the MAP which is quite unique. Not sure that it makes a huge difference if what you're interested in is finance, though. Texas is a very good school, but Michigan is at another level in my opinion.

By the way, I will be applying to the weekend format program within the next few months. What program are you attending? -Evening, I assume. What is your profile like? Can you shed any light on the admissions process for the part time program? Many things I read are more geared toward full time programs.

by endr3am » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:27 am
Thanks for the responses. I suppose the only think holding me back from Ross is the fact that I am genuinely worried I will not be able to find a job once I get there.

I has a 620 GMAT even quart/verbal and a 3.64 from University of Phoenix, 7 years WE with substantial management and value creation for my firm.

by fleckre » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:08 pm
I understand. It just occurred to me that you were worried about the job market in MI for your time during the program as opposed to after since you would be a part time student. That makes far more sense. I will say this (being from Ann Arbor and currently living in Ohio): the economy in Ann Arbor stays somewhat insulated from the MI economy in general. That being said, I would look deeper into the job prospects in Ann Arbor further before making a final decision. Perhaps you can try to find a job right now and if you are able to find something, you would obviously feel more secure in going there.

Although I try to be objective, I am admittedly somewhat biased toward Michigan. Perhaps someone else can weigh in? It might help to know what industry you work in. I think it would be wise to consider job prospects specific to your industry rather than generally.

Good luck!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 pm
Have you been up to Ross since being admitted? Or can you reach out to the school prior to making your decision? maybe they have connections or something.. I'm not sure... McCombs is a great school too! Congrats
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants