Weaken argument

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Weaken argument

by buoyant » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:02 am
Sleep deprivation is, without a doubt, a serious problem in today's high-energy world. Fueled by energy drinks and coffee, people work longer hours than ever before and often end up getting fewer than five hours of sleep per night. Placing legal limitations on the quantities of coffee and energy drinks that stores can sell to a customer would, therefore, dramatically reduce the amount of impaired decision-making brought about by sleep deprivation.

The argument that legal limitations on coffee and energy drink sales would reduce the number of sleep deprivation-induced problems would be most dramatically weakened if which of the following was also true?

A) Farmers in nineteenth-century America typically got only six hours of sleep per night.
B) Most energy drinks contain considerably more caffeine, in addition to other stimulants, than a comparable quantity of coffee does.
C) Many easily accessible substances other than coffee and energy drinks contain stimulants with effects similar to coffee and energy drinks.
D) The increasing appearance of all-night businesses makes it easy to obtain coffee and energy drinks at any time of the day.
E) The marketing campaigns of energy drinks typically promote an active and youthful lifestyle, whereas those for coffee typically promote a feeling of settled contemplation

[spoiler]OA: C[/spoiler]

source: Veritas Prep

[spoiler]I get why is C correct, but i don't understand why is D incorrect.
Isn't D saying "the effect causes the cause"?[/spoiler]

Can someone please explain?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:00 am
buoyant wrote:i don't understand why is D incorrect.
D: The increasing appearance of all-night businesses makes it easy to obtain coffee and energy drinks at any time of the day.
It is stated as a PREMISE that the there will be legal limitations on the quantities of coffee and energy drinks that stores can sell to a customer.
Whether stores are open during the day or at night is irrelevant: the quantity of coffee and energy drinks that can be sold will be limited in either case.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Mustcrackgmat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:41 am
Is the correct answer C ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Abhishek009 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:20 am
buoyant wrote:Sleep deprivation is, without a doubt, a serious problem in today's high-energy world. Fueled by energy drinks and coffee, people work longer hours than ever before and often end up getting fewer than five hours of sleep per night. Placing legal limitations on the quantities of coffee and energy drinks that stores can sell to a customer would, therefore, dramatically reduce the amount of impaired decision-making brought about by sleep deprivation.

I am getting (C) as well...

1. Sleep deprivation a serious problem.

2. People tend to work longer by having energy drinks and coffee , resulting in lack of sleep.

3. Legal Restrictions on sale of coffee and energy drinks can reduce the problem of sleep deprivationis statement.

The argument that legal limitations on coffee and energy drink sales would reduce the number of sleep deprivation-induced problems would be most dramatically weakened if which of the following was also true?

A) Farmers in nineteenth-century America typically got only six hours of sleep per night.

Irrelevant.

B) Most energy drinks contain considerably more caffeine, in addition to other stimulants, than a comparable quantity of coffee does.

To general in approach , just a casual comment.

C) Many easily accessible substances other than coffee and energy drinks contain stimulants with effects similar to coffee and energy drinks.

Looks promising.

D) The increasing appearance of all-night businesses makes it easy to obtain coffee and energy drinks at any time of the day.

Availability of coffee and energy drinks - Can be considered for further consideration.

E) The marketing campaigns of energy drinks typically promote an active and youthful lifestyle, whereas those for coffee typically promote a feeling of settled contemplation

Irrelevant.

Now we are left with options (C) and (D)

(C) - Questions substances other than coffee and energy drinks which causes sleep deprivation hence placing legal restrictions on this items is ineffective.

(D) - Questions the availability of substances other than coffee and energy drinks round the clock 24 X 7 , hence placing legal restrictions on these items is ineffective...

Careful observation of option (D) suggests that the statement calls into question the applicability of the legal restriction in question rather than assuming it to be true...

Hence I would prefer to go with option (C)
Abhishek