Requested second interview. Bad/good idea?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Requested second interview. Bad/good idea?

by Josh85 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:35 am
So I'm a terrible standardized test taker. Just absolutely terrible. I took the GMAT in late January and scored a low 420 which is not particularly impressive. Eventually I decided that I wasn't going to fool around and I bought an expensive prep class. Last Friday, I took the GMAT and scored 450. I'm still not sure what went wrong but it definitely doesn't help me out.

As a result, I requested a second interview at my top school to explain why these GMAT scores are not representative of my academic ability. I think it's a little too late in the process to take the GMAT a third time. I essentially want to prove to them that I've tried as hard as I could and have taken the necessary precautions to try to do better. I felt that writing another addendum would be a bad idea, considering I've already got another one in there.

I'm trying to be personable. Yes, I've already had my first interview but that was last year. My friend thinks it's a bit aggressive and that it would scare them off. I wonder what Beatthegmat.com's forum members have to say about it. I don't think asking for a second interview is wrong but now my friend is convincing me I just doomed myself.

Some advice would be amazing. Thanks!

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 pm
Sorry to hear about your GMAT experience. But i don't think requesting for a second interview to explain to them your gmat situation is going to be a total bummer for you. If you have written a convincing email stating the reason why you want a second interview, then you need not worry. The worst thing that can happen would be they rejecting your request but the best thing that could happen would be they willing to speak to you. BUT, all the above can be void if the school specifically tells applicants not to contact them or request for some face time.
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Josh85 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 pm
I've already got the interview. They said that they grant interviews for perspective students. So I'm not so worried about it. I just wondered if the idea behind it was bad.

It's been a long long road, I studied MGMAT, Kaplan, Princeton, OG 12, and I even took a class. Nothing has worked and I'm almost convinced nothing will. I'm not dumb by any stretch of the imagination, however, I think there's a point where I just have to stop and realize that I'm not good at standardized tests.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:03 pm
I don't think it will hurt you to have a second interview, however, I wouldn't focus on the negative (the GMAT score). Simply state that you have always tested poorly on standardized tests but it doesn't reflect your ability to perform well academically (hopefully you have strong undergraduate grades to support this) or professionally (again, hopefully you a strong record at work and strong recommendations). The Adcom will be worried that you won't be able to succeed in a classroom environment and on tests at business school so you need to assure then that you can!!

Good luck!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options