This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:740

Where do I stand?

by hprashi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:11 pm
Could you please evaluate my profile?

1) Work Ex:
- I have been working as a Risk Analyst with HSBC for the past 2 years. My work mainly involves building statistical models and designing strategies for HSBC across geographies and across product lines.
- Within 6 months of joining the organisation I proactively identified and solved a problem which is saving HSBC $171,000 annually. Was recognized with an award for financial and behavioral impact.
- Even though I am based in India, I work with business partners of different nationality - US, Canada, and Turkey so far.
- I led a project on Turkey and mentored 2 new joinees and brought them upto speed. I was awarded a leadership and high business impact award recently.
- Built framework to forecast loss of modification and restructured mortgages which has a direct bottom line impact

2) Your GMAT.
Have taken GMAT twice:
ATTEMPT1: 660(Q50, V27, AWA5)
ATTEMPT2: 700(Q51, V33, AWA4.5)

3) College info:
- I have completed Engineering from National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal(NITK) majoring in Electronics and Communication
- CGPA 6.71/10
- Reason for low GPA: Started a company and was focusing on it. Also, was involved in too many extra curriculars
- My Acads are better before my undergrad : Was selected for the National level Phyics(top 1% of the country) and Chemistry Olympiad. Scored 100% in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in 12th grade. Secured rank 24 among 35,000+ candidates in a State level undergrad entrance exam(local equivalent for SAT)

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
- I started a company focusing on medical sector when in college. Within 6 months of starting off, we were targetted for acquisation which we refused. Raised Seed 1 capital of INR 150,000. But things didnt work out and we decided to close the shop.
- Founding member of the entrepreneurship club at NITK
- Technical co-ordinator of Indian Society for Technical Education NITK Chapter
- Runner up at a National level B-Plan competition
- Pioneered an online tresure hunt game which has become a tradition in the universtiy
- Almost zero community service

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
- Level 2 candidate in the CFA program

6) Post MBA career
Plan A: Get into a rotational leadership program such as HSBC IM program, GE's leadership program
Plan B: Mgmt Consulting
Plan C: IB/Equity research

7) Your target programs.
- Kellogg, Ross, Duke, Tuck, Cornell, Darden, Yale

I plan to apply for the batch starting in 2012.

Below are the questions that I am seeking answers to:

1) Given the above profile am I competitive at the above schools(7)?
2) I have a good quant score and a low verbal score(700 Q51 V33). Is it worth taking GMAT again - for the 3rd time? O am be able to push the score to 720-730.

by hprashi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:21 am
Please do post your opinion.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 pm
From what I've read, it sounds like you would have a decent shot at one of the programs you identified. I think it is interesting that you started a company and have some "entrepreneurial" experience. I'd try not to make an excuse for your undergraduate performance, instead, focus on how well you have performed as a professional. I think your GMAT score is within the range for the schools you are targeting - however, it couldn't hurt to take it again. Most schools will only pay attention to your top score so there is little downside to taking it again. For applicants at your level, one of the main differentiators is the application itself - you will need a well presented resume, strong LORs and compelling essays. If these components stand out (particularly the LORs and essays) then you will be in good shape!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by hprashi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:05 pm
Thanks a lot Jessica!!

I'll focus on writing essays and taking GMAT again!