College students

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

College students

by vscid » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:38 pm
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students' grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

1]Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

2]Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.

3]Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.

4]High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

5]All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by onedayi'll » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:17 pm
choice b: does not say anything about the grades obtained by honor students after changing diet, so it provides no data for evaluation.

choice e: the topic is about special diet having some effect on grades.

choice e talks about the people who took part in the survey. wht difference does it make whether they were first year/second year or third year sudent . so this answer is nowhere the correct answer.

Only Choice D echoes

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 pm
On D...There is a before Vs after comparison on the same group of students to show the effect of the plan..

Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 am
vscid wrote:A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students' grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

1]Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

2]Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.

3]Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.

4]High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

5]All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.
The only reason that can weaken the conclusion drawn by the author is - if we are able to prove that the grades of the students who were given "nutritional diet" were earlier less than the other "non nutritional diet" students.

D -correctly states "who previously had low grades" indicating the same thing above - hence weakens the statement a one shot.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:27 am
IMO B.. it shows that students didn't change their study habit...
so the diet has no effect as stated in conclusion..

but in D it says high school students.. i am not clear if they were covered in survey..

i am not clear about this question...????

by hrishi19884 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 am
nervesofsteel wrote:IMO B.. it shows that students didn't change their study habit...

but in D it says high school students.. i am not clear if they were covered in survey..

Whether it is "students" or "high school students" ....basically they are all "students"

so no reason for fighting on it.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

by sadullaevd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:37 am
I'm stuck on this one, no clue,

cant find any suitable answer,

could any expert take a look at this CR question, plz?

Whats OA, by the way.
Stay skeptical,
Think critically,
Assume nothing.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 am
vscid wrote:A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students' grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Incorrect : This strengthens the argument by showing that their performance IMPROVED.

Correct : This is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above because it supports the conclusion that special diets does not positively affect students grades

Incorrect : Issue is not about altering Exercise habits, it is about altering Dietary habits

Incorrect : Again this is contradictory to what is stated in the conclusion. Eliminated.

Incorrect : Out of scope
Hope this helps : )

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 am
hrishi19884 wrote:
nervesofsteel wrote:IMO B.. it shows that students didn't change their study habit...

Whether it is "students" or "high school students" ....basically they are all "students"

so no reason for fighting on it.
nervesofsteel has a vaild concern. Details like these ("students" and "high school students") define the scope of each option and hence, help us to eliminate irrelevant choices.

But here, I think we will have to consider them as same and hence, IMO D will be the credited response .

Also, in my view, the question doesn't seem to be a part of CR questions from a reputable source like Kap, Manh, Prince, the Bible or Gprep....

OA and source please !
Regards,
Harsha

Legendary Member

by harshavardhanc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:11 am
komal wrote:

Incorrect : This strengthens the argument by showing that their performance IMPROVED.

Correct : This is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above because it supports the conclusion that special diets does not positively affect students grades

Incorrect : Issue is not about altering Exercise habits, it is about altering Dietary habits

Incorrect : Again this is contradictory to what is stated in the conclusion. Eliminated.

Incorrect : Out of scope
Hope this helps : )
"determining accuracy" doesn't necessarily mean that we have to prove the conclusion as a correct one. Any option, if true, which can destroy the conclusion can also be the correct answer. In that case, we can confidently say that the study is not accurate.

If option 2 would have stated

" Honors students, after altering their diets, said that their grades did not change significantly" would have lent support to the conclusion, but would not have proved/disproved it completely.

OR,

"Honors students, who were part of the study, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits."

would have certainly made us to think about the accuracy and would, in that case, have become the correct option. But neither is the case.

oooooooh..... I'm more confused now.

Anyway, let's see what's the OA . :roll:
Regards,
Harsha

by VikingWarrior » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:41 am
My answer is B.
It helps remove a bias from the study and keeps the study statistically objective and standardized.
In D, one is basically refuting the conclusion of the study which is silly and of course D does nothing to add to the accuracy of this study (on 60 students). d is the result of another independent study.
If D is true then it does not tell us about the accuracy of this study but it provides contrary results to this study.

Legendary Member

by harshavardhanc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 am
VikingWarrior wrote:My answer is B.
It helps remove a bias from the study and keeps the study statistically objective and standardized.
In D, one is basically refuting the conclusion of the study which is silly and of course D does nothing to add to the accuracy of this study (on 60 students). d is the result of another independent study.
If D is true then it does not tell us about the accuracy of this study but it provides contrary results to this study.
precisely my friend! that's what I said in a post above yours. any option which can prove that the study results were wrong, will also help us find that the study was inaccurate ( you've determined the accuracy here as well).
Regards,
Harsha

by VikingWarrior » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 am
precisely my friend! that's what I said in a post above yours. any option which can prove that the study results were wrong, will also help us find that the study was inaccurate ( you've determined the accuracy here as well).
Ok, this is my last post regarding this question. Let's say that:
Study A shows result as positive.
Study B shows result as negative.
What tools does one have to prove which study is correct and which is not?
Ans: Statistics.
If study B is unbiased and performed on a large enough sample with proper application of other statistical tools then study B may be considered correct

In this question (option D) how do you know How many high school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically. this one is akin to study A...study B is akin to the conclusion in the Q stem...

Study A does not help us understand the accuracy of study B. Study B is independent of study A and we do not know how accurate study A was.
What we do know is that if we can eliminate a bias from study B then that study becomes more accurate...
The bias that was removed by option B was the fact that the students who altered their diets did not start studying more than they used to earlier hence proving that on its own, diet alteration doesn't get you good grades.

by vaivish » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:50 am
B doesnt say anything about the results after the change in the diet plan. But D indicates the change in results after change in diet. Hence D is OA

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 pm

1]Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.[It is opposing the para,not helpful]

2]Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits. [Supportive statement as their study habits do not change]

3]Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits. [It is opposing the para,not helpful]

4]High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically. [This also opposing the paragraph]

[arbiter statement -no use knowing whethet they were in 1st,2nd or 3rd yr][spoiler]
IMO ans is B.[/spoiler]
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P