please solve the CR

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

please solve the CR

by arghya05 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 am
Dr. Kim: Electronic fetal monitors, now routinely used in hospital delivery rooms to check fetal heartbeat, are more intrusive than ordinary stethoscopes and do no more to improve the chances that a healthy baby will be born. Therefore, the additional cost of electronic monitoring is unjustified and such monitoring should be discontinued.
Dr. Anders: I disagree. Although you and I know that both methods are capable of providing the same information, electronic monitoring has been well worth the cost. Doctors now know the warning signs they need to listen for with stethoscopes, but only because of what was learned from using electronic monitors.
Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would provide the most support for Dr. Kim's contention that the use of electronic fetal monitors should be discontinued?
(A) Hospitals should discontinue the routine use of a monitoring method whenever an alternative method that provides more information becomes available.
(B) Monitoring procedures should be routinely used in delivery rooms only if they provide information of a kind that is potentially useful in ensuring that a healthy baby will be born.
(C) When two methods available to hospitals provide the same kind of information, the more intrusive method should not be used.
(D) When the use of a medical device has enabled doctors to learn something that improves the chances that babies will be born healthy, that device is well worth its cost.
(E) Routinely used medical procedures should be reevaluated periodically to be sure that these procedures provide reliable information.

As a reply to Dr. Kim's argument, Dr. Anders' response is inadequate because it
(A) misses the point at issue
(B) assumes what it sets out to prove
(C) confuses high cost with high quality
(D) overestimates the importance of technology to modem medicine
(E) overlooks the fact that a procedure can be extensively used without being the best procedure available

How to solve these type of CR.Please explain the strategy in details

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mmon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm
IMO B. Please post the OA

by mmon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm
IMO B. Please post the OA

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:45 pm
IMO - 1. A, 2. E

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Ragingrsx » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm
IMO 1st:C 2nd:A

by gmatv09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:31 pm
1. B

by arghya05 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 pm
guys please explain the logic not the answers

the answer is C

by DarkKnight » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:20 pm
1st: C - b/c it clearly states that when two methods available that provide same kind of information ( which is give in stimulus), the more intrusive method should be discontinued. Hence if this is true, it will provide more support for Dr Kim's contention.

2nd: B- b/c Dr Kim argues that additional cost of electronic monitoring is unjustified. Dr Andres should prove that wrong. However he starts with an assumption that electronic monitoring has been well worth the cost.

Whats the OA?

by DarkKnight » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 pm
1st: C - b/c it clearly states that when two methods available that provide same kind of information ( which is give in stimulus), the more intrusive method should be discontinued. Hence if this is true, it will provide more support for Dr Kim's contention.

2nd: B- b/c Dr Kim argues that additional cost of electronic monitoring is unjustified. Dr Andres should prove that wrong. However he starts with an assumption that electronic monitoring has been well worth the cost.

Whats the OA?

by pink_08 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 pm
I agree with C) but does not seem to fully address the issue..

Part of the issue is addressed in D)

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:20 am
IMO C.

my strategy :

you need to look for an option which will strengthen the contention that "some method" should be discontinued. After taking an initial glance and after POE, I had option B and C with me.

The question said 'a principle which will guide/ tell you what should be discontinued "

Although option B uses 'monitoring procedures' (more related to stimulus and the question), it tells you whether a procedure should be used or not. It does not tell you anything about discontinuation of a method/procedure.

Option C principle specifically tells you which method should be discontinued in hospitals when you have two methods providing same kind of info. Hence, C.
Regards,
Harsha

by joseph32 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 pm
I think C is the best in this case.

by joseph32 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 pm
I would go with option C as the correct option