Verbal - huge dip on GMAT PREP and other tests

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,

I have declined A LOT on my verbal portion since my first time taking the gmat. Originally I scored 43 on my verbal section. Now, I am scoring in the high 30s, with an occasional 40 (this is across about 10 tests). On my GMAT Prep i scored a 38.

I have my test this SATURDAY. I wanted to hear if some experts (and others) have advice as to how I should proceed in terms of studying. At this point I have been redoing problems, doing new ones when I can find them (mostly MGMAT) and reviewing my notes, analyzing the wrong answer choices, etc. My decline is not specifically in any one part of Verbal - across the board I am doing very poorly.

I am even considering not taking the test again - if I cant score higher, then I cant get into the schools I want to attend.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thank you!

-DLB

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 am
I'm a big fan of doing regular CATs -- that way you can focus your studying without fear of neglecting your other skills, since it all shows up on the test.

If you got a higher score before, you can get one again. Sometimes people get a little too deep in the strategies, or lose confidence, leading to lower scores. Sometimes it's just bad luck. I suppose it is possible you have some terrible brain-wasting disease, but it's much more likely that it's something more ordinary.

Planning on retaking if it doesn't go well and plain postponing are both valid approaches -- the only bad idea is saying "I am DOOOMED" and giving up on your hopes.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmat_this_sat! » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 am
Thanks, Jim.

However, I dont really see how postponing will help. Considering how busy my job has kept me, I cant imagine getting any block of time that will enable me to do better. Hence the "doomed" conclusion I am coming to..

You say to take practice tests. I have used (and bought) almost every CAT under the sun. Have any suggestions as to which tests are accurate and worth my (very limited) time?

Thanks again for responding.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:43 pm
Postponing might help you get over the "doomed" feeling, but it's obviously not your only option. Being open to retaking is also fine.

I mentioned the practice tests in the sense of "this is how a study plan works ideally", should you postpone or retake. Given your limited time, if you're taking the test on Saturday, going over mostly easy questions to boost your confidence is among the good choices.

As far as which CATs to take . . . GMAC doesn't release its scoring algorithm. I discourage people from worrying about accuracy; the point is practicing the test experience and getting a variety of questions that increase in difficulty, not second-guessing what your score will be. GMAC can and does make changes to the GMAT when it wants to, so any CAT published around the time of OG12 is years old.

One postponement/re-take option that will increase the number of tests on the market is waiting until after the new GMAT comes out -- every major provider will be releasing new books with new CATs.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:29 am
Hi gmat_this_sat,

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation
time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your
GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a
person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see
how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT-in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly. You might be able to study more than the given hours and that would take you less than 2-3 months.It all depends on your potential really.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your
practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal
Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions
online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your
smart phones