Difference b/w MBA and MS in finance

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Difference b/w MBA and MS in finance

by sunaina jain » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Hi,

Can anyone sum up whats the major differences b/w an MBA & MS both specializing in finance. Is their any added value to do Ms in finance after having an MBA(Finance) degree. What is the scope of having both degrees.

Thanks,

by justinkicksass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:08 pm
I can't speak for all schools, but the school I am interested in makes you take a lot more finance classes and less accounting, marketing, business theory, econ, etc. Sure you have to take some to have an understanding but not as many.

by nupnup » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:51 pm
Having done some Master of Finance classes while getting my norma MA, I would assume a huge difference. Master of Finance was basically A LOT of math (especially stochastic diff eq) whereas I do not hear any such thing about MBAs. So unless you really like math and want to be a quant, I have some doubts whether it is worth it....

by sunaina jain » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Thanks a lot:-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:38 pm
Hi sunaina,

Which program are you leaning towards now?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 am
To answer your question in very broad terms:

MBA - Focuses on a more holistic approach - a little bit of finance, a little bit of marketing, a little bit of accounting, ALOT of what you choose to concentrate it (your specialization). MBA programs generally last 2 years but depending on where you apply you will get shorter programs as well. The MBA's goal is to give you a solid grasp and understanding in various areas of business economics, accounting, finance, statistics, strategy, and so on.

MSF - Focuses solely on the finance discipline by taking different approaches to it. MSF programs generally last 1 year. The MSF's goal is to prepare you and give you a solid understanding of various areas of Finance such as Corporate finance, Valuations, Financial markets, etc.

So essentially if you choose to specialize in Finance in an MBA you will have all other types of knowledge which will be adding value to your main specialization. In an MSF you will be focusing primarily on the finance aspect and adding value perhaps by doing some economics, accounting, but no marketing. So the skill sets you obtain are different. A good analogy is the general physician and the neurologist. The general phsyician knows about dermatology, gastroentology, x, y where as the neorlogist knows most about neurology. An MBA will probably learn about the black-scholes equation and its uses but perhaps an MSF will know the components , functions and can calculate the equations.

Your spectrum of choices post- degree will be limited depending on the program you opt to do. As an MSF it is more than likely that you will enter the finance function of a firm. Whereas an MBA leaves the playing field more open given that you have knowledge of every component of business and a even stronger understanding of your specialization.

I think that the value of having degrees is pretty much dependent upon your choices. I am sure there are some overlaps but how you manage your electives would be key. Also, both might be different experiences in different nations, schools, and thus, you will meet different people - expanding your contact database. So the value is there - just depends on how much of your status qou you want to give up.

Hope something helped.

Jas

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 am
Thank you Jas for that detailed answer!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs: